Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions for good ham (spiral) please

I looked around internetland and found that I didn't like any of the choices, other than the KC ones where I know exactly what I'm getting.

Also found some coupon codes for KC, so I just went ahead and ordered one with the $20 off coupon.   Too bad you cannot use two coupon codes, as there was also a 'free shipping' coupon code but that's less, so I basically ended up saving just over $5.

Don't have to worry about it anymore either, so that - Priceless!  Smiley Happy

Whew!  

Honored Contributor

I have purchased a spiral from Sam's it was very good.

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone....this is crazy but I was near honeybake today, stopped in.  Guess what?  They have plenty 🙂

I ordered a 1/2 as I cut the ham in 1/2 so I don't need full slices.  My friend offered to bring a turkey breast (sliced) so I think this will be enough with the other things.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

Regular Contributor

The best ham I ever had was a Honey Baked Ham, worth every penny. Good Luck

Honored Contributor

Question regarding Honey Baked.  Can you freeze it if you buy it early?  Also, has anyone bought one on line and had it shipped to their home?  Is it better to go to the HB store?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have used the Smithfield, Sams, Costco and virtually every grocery store brand.  I think it all depends on how you cook it.

We put ours in the crock pot and cover with Brown Sugar and Maple Syrup.  Since the Ham is big the cover won't fit so use Foil.  It tastes wonderful.  No need for Honey Baked ever again.

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1  For Thanksgiving and Christmas we purchased a Sam's Choice Spiral Cut Ham from Walmart.  It was the first time we had tried them and were not disappointed.  We will buy again next year.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH and I are still trying to finish up some of the Costco (Kirkland) spiral-sliced ham that is readily available at their stores.

The glaze that comes with that ham  is as good as any other I've tried over the years, and you don't have to glaze it at all, if you don't want to.

Of course, the ham is precooked, so you don't even have to heat it, but we do.

Respected Contributor

Probably all of the brand-named spiral hams you see in stores come from the same company.  One tip-off is the fact that the glazes all come in the same packaging with identically printed instruction pamphlets for cooking and glazing the ham.

Horror of horrors for those animal-cruelty activists..........probably  those hams all come from the same  evil company known as Smithfield, located in Virginia?

Honored Contributor

Avoid Hormel Cure 81.  We were both disappointed in flavor.