Trusted Contributor

Stroopwafels and other holiday treats

They are selling Stroopwafels on HSN.  A Dutch, holiday treat apparently.  I had never heard of these things before.  The reviews at various sites are all good.  I think I might look for them at Trader Joe's and try them.  It's a waffle type cookie with caramel in the middle.  You put the cookie over a steaming cup of coffee or tea for a bit so that the caramel inside gets soft.

Have you had these before?  I wonder what else is out there that I've missed out on.  Please share any national treats or traditions that you enjoy that some of us may not know about!  Thanks!  😀

~LdyBugz

Respected Contributor

Re: Stroopwafels and other holiday treats

Yes I've bought them at Trader Joe's.  I just saw a big box of them at Costco. I also got one on a United flight last week.  They are yummy 

Trusted Contributor

Oh, yes! I love Stroopwaffles. I first discovered them on United Airlines (weird, right?) Caramel is my favorite flavor, but they also come with a honey center and also in a chocolate waffle with, I think, caramel in the middle.  I'm not patient to let it warm up over my coffee cup so I put a Strropwaffle on a plate and microwave for 30 seconds. So decadent and delicious 😋.

Esteemed Contributor

Some brands of stroopwafels are better than others; I think the Daelmans and Rip Van Wafel ones are the best, though each is slightly different. If you're a little patient, they typically have good sales from time to time at World Market and Amazon. I'll have to check out the HSN offering.

Valued Contributor

They are easily found in Aruba & other Dutch colonized areas.  A friend brought back some for me from Aruba.  So if you know anyone that goes to Aruba, put your order in with them to bring some back for you!  😁

Esteemed Contributor

@LdyBugz wrote:

They are selling Stroopwafels on HSN.  A Dutch, holiday treat apparently.  I had never heard of these things before.  The reviews at various sites are all good.  I think I might look for them at Trader Joe's and try them.  It's a waffle type cookie with caramel in the middle.  You put the cookie over a steaming cup of coffee or tea for a bit so that the caramel inside gets soft.

Have you had these before?  I wonder what else is out there that I've missed out on.  Please share any national treats or traditions that you enjoy that some of us may not know about!  Thanks!  😀

~LdyBugz

The Vermont Country store has an international section and they  sell them. I had them in  Holland Michigan many yrs ago  and have since ordered from Vermont trading. Some high end coffee shops sell them to.

Esteemed Contributor

Vermont country store's international delight section had them  in their catalog

Esteemed Contributor

Walmart carries Dutch Stroopwafel cookies in the cookie aisle (with the specialty cookies). Goose Creek Candle also has a candle by the same name and it smells just like the cookie. The cookies are very flavorful, but hard - they definitely need to be softened!

Respected Contributor

I have purchased these in Big Lots.

Honored Contributor

I recently had one from one of our local bakeries. Ugh! It was awful! Not a fan at all. 

"Pure Michigan"