Super Contributor

Re: Strawberry Hill Povitica tracking

Thanks, Tigriss.  That's good to know.  I'm heading there right now...

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Super Contributor

Well, the povitica came a day earlier than expected.  Two of the loaves went straight into the freezer to be served at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and the other one is for now.  I chose the Pumpkin Spice first for it is appropriate for this early autumn day.   I was hoping the filling would be fuller like the "potica" I remember, but this is more like a cross between cinnamon bread and traditional potica.   It is delicious, however, and you can tell the spices used are the best quality. 

Ladies, what do you think of the Povitica you received?  Do you like it?

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Trusted Contributor

I know this is somewhat off topic, but someone asked if povitica was good.  The povitica I have had?  AWESOME.

I taught with a colleague whose grandmother brought their family receipe over from the Croatian area.  At Christmas time, my friend, her four sisters, and her mother would rent space to use after hours at a bakery.  They would take orders for the povitica and deliver on designated dates.  Their povitica had the thinnest, thinnest "crust" with sugar, cinnamon, and butter (pecans if requested) would roll it, then bake it.  I'm not exaggerating--I bet it was at least 12 layers.  Then they got their own restaurant and made it there and after their Mom was no longer able to help, it kind of fell to the wayside.  The Catholic Church in our small town wanted/needed a new church (theirs didn't have pews, only folding chairs and no air conditioning, etc), so this family gave the recipe to the church and the Church Ladies have been making it for about five years and send it all over the USA.  And, about a year ago, the church was completed, completely debt free. So, yes, povitica is good not only in taste but as a fundraiser if someone has  recipe.

Oops, sorry this is so long.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Super Contributor

Oh my goodness, you made my mouth water the way you described the povitica.  YUMM!    Awesome story about the church, too!  Who knew that povitica could be such a huge blessing in so many ways.  Thanks for sharing.