Honored Contributor

Re: Strange Thing In My Package

I think it was very sweet for someone to take the time to do that just to put a smile on a stranger's face.

My Mom always told me besides the ""see a penny pick it up"" saying that there was also one that when you saw a penny you passed it on to the next person you saw for even more good luck to come to you.

I know many times I have left an extra penny at a convenience store instead of getting back my change so it could help someone else and would find a nickel or dime or another penny in the parking lot on the way back to my car.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

sorry - couldn't post link...

Super Contributor

Thanks FunkyHulaGirl! This is starting to make sense but having a company include a penny was a little different. Has anyone ever ordered one of these can openers before? Wondering if anyone else received a penny.

Super Contributor

It was sweet for them to do that. I did smile when I opened the package but curious as well. Glad I thought to come here and post.

Super Contributor

It was sweet for them to do that. I did smile when I opened the package but curious as well. Glad I thought to come here and post.

Super Contributor

On 1/15/2014 FunkyHulaGirl said:

I remember the penny in a wallet or purse, but never heard of this. I looked it up and this is what I found:

Did you know there's a superstition about receiving knives as a gift? It applies to can openers, too, or scissors -- anything with a blade.

Apparently it's bad luck to be given something that can sever. The blade, it's thought, will sever the friendship. It's especially bad luck for a wedding gift, where the fear is that the sharp edge will sever the marriage vows.

Some people hold this superstition so strongly that they disapprove of giving knives as wedding gifts. But for most people, the solution is to have the bride "buy" the knife from you instead, for a token amount (usually a penny; sometimes a nickel). My relatives went so far as to insist I follow this rule even for something with as dull a blade as a table knife.

Some gift givers will include the penny for you to give back to them, but that seems to me to defeat the purpose; how much of a "purchase" can you make with money that's been given to you from the person you're supposed to pay?

This is the story I've been told.

Then there's "pennies from heaven" -- When you find a penny, it means that an angel is watching over you.

Honored Contributor

Could have been a returned item they sent to you as new? Doesn't sound like a company would do that, but I don't know.

Super Contributor

Did it have a card inside, or outside of the box saying something about "Quality Control" (trying not to laugh on that one)? Can you tell if your label was covering another label? Since you got it on waitlist, it probably was a return. No matter though. The penny was meant for you!

I got 2 defective Lazy Boys last month. One was clearly a return and had that stupid "Quality Control" sticker on the box. - Bird

Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2014 luvboyds said:

Thanks FunkyHulaGirl! This is starting to make sense but having a company include a penny was a little different. Has anyone ever ordered one of these can openers before? Wondering if anyone else received a penny.

Maybe someone bought it for a gift and included a penny and it was returned and sent out again to this customer. I don't think QVC intentionally sent a penny with it.

Super Contributor

Find a penny, pick it up and all the day you'll have good luck. That was the phrase I was taught and I always do it.