Regular Contributor

Re: Storing Lettuce in Fridge?

@FlowerBear wrote:

@I am still oxox    Is the Rubbermaid BPA free or is it Glass? Thank you!

From Rubbermaid: Thank you for your interest in our products! All of the Rubbermaid Products have been BPA free since 2009.

Valued Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

@jlkz   I dont have a salad spinner!  But thank you!

IMO, they are very much worth it.  We are able to make a huge salad and it lasts a week if we don't eat it first.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Keybra 

Per Google....

Wrap the celery tightly in aluminum foil.

Celery often goes bad fast because it releases ethylene, a ripening hormone. ...

Re-wrap your celery after each use.

After using celery for a meal, be sure to re-wrap it in aluminum foil. ...

Keep the celery for three to four weeks. Store the celery in your refrigerator.

This works like a charm. I have celery wrapped in foil right now in my refrigerator, and I bought it 5 weeks ago. It is as fresh as the day I bought it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I wash my romaine, chop it up, use my salad spinner and then put it in those Debbie Meyer Green Bags with some paper towels.  It lasts a long time.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
New Contributor

I swear by Lock & Lock - take lettuce out of bag and place in L&L - will keep for weeks.  I do the same with fruits and veggies - do not rinse, just place in L&L.  Bread keeps longer in L&L also.  

Honored Contributor

I never have a problem with it browning unless I cut it with a knife, so I don't.  I'm the only one that eats lettuce so I just tear off a portion from under the outer protective leaves and put it back in frig. 

Regular Contributor

I have lost virtually no lettuce since I found out that all I have to do is take about 2 paper towels placed in the bottom of a L&L bowl. Take the lettuce out of the bag - take out the core - then tear it into pieces for a salad and place onto the paper towel - snap on the lid and it's good to go. It will last for about 2 weeks. I always make sure the lettuce is fresh and has not started to wilt. I do block cheese the same way and it lasts a long time too. Does not mold. Now on the cheese, I do have to change the paper towel at least once a week. It seems good that I'm not wasting these two items as I did before.

I sent this message from the last living brain cell I have.
Valued Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I never have a problem with it browning unless I cut it with a knife, so I don't.  I'm the only one that eats lettuce so I just tear off a portion from under the outer protective leaves and put it back in frig. 

We have a lettuce knife.  Its plastic and prevents browning

Honored Contributor

one thing I've never bought