Respected Contributor

Re: Storing Lettuce in Fridge?

@Keybra wrote:

I save lettuce the same way as mentioned but my biggest problem is CELERY. How do you get it to last more than a week ?

wrap tightly in aluminum foil

Respected Contributor

Thanks @IMW  - have often wondered about both the items you mentioned but never knew anyone that has used them. I’m gonna try them.  Thanks bunches.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@FlowerBear wrote:

How do you store lettuce in the fridge? I just had to throw out brand new green leaf lettuce. It was wilted and brown edges!  I had  put it in a plastic container.

@FlowerBear 

Pro Tip:

Don’t throw away.

Cook it in a stir fry w/ other veg or throw in in a soup.

Treat it like spinach/kale/etc...lettuce soup is good!

It stays fairly crispy when cooking it. 

You can also pickle old lettuce and use as a condiment. You can find recipes for pickling lettuce on the internet.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Spacrazy wrote:

@ECBG :  That’s exactly the way I handle mine and always have but I thought I made it up - - yayyyy us !!

@Spacrazy -

@ECBG -

Haha! I thought I made it up too!

Great mindsSmiley Happy

@on the bay @Spacrazy Just be sure as you use the lettuce, you remove any rib you see.  They go bad first effecting the freshness of the lettuce.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I knock out the core, remove the outer leaf, run cold water in the core opening until it gets in the head

Then I pour off the water, shake and drain on paper towels for an hour.  Storage is in a large zip lock one side with paper towels  and the air pressed out. 

@ECBG -

This is just what I do too.

Except I run water all around after taking out the core and outer leaves.

It lasts for about 3 weeks.

I occasionally change the paper towel.

@on the bay When you run water through the middle, it keeps all of the leaves more crisp. 

I taught Foods and Adv Foods.  A lot of those students ended up working in 5 star resturants as they got their chef's training.

Esteemed Contributor

I like very crisp iceberg lettuce for sandwiches and salads. As others have said, I also knock the core out, rinse the head and then wrap in paper towels and put in a gallon size plastic bag. I think a little water left in/on the lettuce makes it nice and crispy in the refrig, and it lasts for around a week.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG -

Thank youSmiley Happy I will definitely try that!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only buy Little Gem Lettuce from Green Giant.  Only one little store in Santa Fe carries it so if they are out, I have to wait.  No salads.

It comes in a plastic container with 6 little heads .  They are about the size of a fist.   One makes a salad for the 2 of us, sometimes with a little left over.   I cut the hard end off, rinse it , dry it and chop.   I put the plastic container in a large zip lock bag and into the crisper bin.  

It is so crisp, crunchy and a tiny tad sweet.  Little bitty romaine like head.  Fantastic.

I also wrap my celery in foil.   That seems to make it last longer, but I still forget it 1/2 of the time.  

Honored Contributor

I use a OLD Tupperware lettuce keeper.  When my friends aunt passed we cleaned out her house & she had a lot of "old" tupperware.  She told me take what I wanted.

I buy lettuce, core & wash.  Then thoroughly dry with tea towel, place piece of paper towel in bottom and put in. Lettuce keeps fresh over a week.

E88F047D-037E-483E-A848-A55D9F7A4181.jpeg

I learned the celery trick -- wrapping in aluminum foil.  Yes, it worked but I keep my celery & carrots in a lock n lock.  They stay fresh for weeks.

Super Contributor

Thank you all for your tips on celery storage. I have tried it but probably didn't wrap it tight enough and used way to much foil but didn't rewrap every time. Just kept reusing the old foil .