Honored Contributor

I use the terra cotta discs and have no problems.  I just resoak them for 15 minutes every few months.

Trusted Contributor

another vote for lock n lock!!

Honored Contributor

I use the clay thing too.  You do have to re-soak it every once in a while.

Esteemed Contributor

Lock & locks are so....unattractive to have hanging out on the countertops. I have an old glass jar and use a terra cotta, but you do have to keep the terra cotta moist.

Soak it in water for an hour or 2, then just stick it right on top. Always fresh brown sugar!

Respected Contributor

Re: Storing Brown Sugar

[ Edited ]

Tupperware   No problems 

Honored Contributor

I use plastic lock containers I buy at Dollar General, Sterilite,  it works excellent my sugars stay dry and so does my flour and other baking stuff.  It works just a well as lock and lock and so much cheaper.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Frequent Contributor

I put my hard sugar in a plastic container with a slice of fresh bread. works every time.

Honored Contributor

This has always been a bone of contention with me.

Why can't they find a way to keep brown sugars from lumping up ?

White sugar doesn't do this ?

Brown can turn as hard as a rock. Gripes my grits. I keep slice of bread

in the push top down type of containers you get from Bed and Bath

It's either to wet like or lumps up into hard knots.

should be a way to figure out how to avoid from where they process

Honored Contributor

I tie with a twist tie, put back in the original box close the box back as well as I can and then put it into a plastic grocery store bag tied as tight as can be.  Then put in the cabinet above my vent a hood and oven.  I have noticed if I buy the cheaper versions of brown sugar they do turn into rocks sometimes but usually started out that way to begin with.  I just stick with Imperial for powder and brown sugars.  Go store brand on the regular sugar.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I have L&L, use that clay thing and my brown sugar still gets hard eventually.  I usually cover it with a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds.  I'll try the bread suggestion.