Honored Contributor

I've tried everything - I have one of those little brown clay things that is supposed to keep it soft (It was a gift from a very special lady to me.). I have frozen it in a container that is supposed to be made for this. I've tried to defrost in the  microwave with a slice of apple and a piece of bread. 

Nothing works. I end up with a lump I'm beating with a meat tenderizer just to get a Tablespoon of it!

Any advice for me? TIA! Smiley Happy

Contributor

I put my brown sugar in a lock and lock container, and it stays soft.  I have had it in one for months and still no problem with it getting hard.  You might try this and see if you like it.  Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I've tried everything - I have one of those little brown clay things that is supposed to keep it soft (It was a gift from a very special lady to me.). I have frozen it in a container that is supposed to be made for this. I've tried to defrost in the  microwave with a slice of apple and a piece of bread. 

Nothing works. I end up with a lump I'm beating with a meat tenderizer just to get a Tablespoon of it!

Any advice for me? TIA! Smiley Happy

Keep those silica gel packets that are included in your medication pill containers and toss them in your brown sugar canister.

Your brown sugar will stay loose and not harden up.

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

@terra wrote:

I put my brown sugar in a lock and lock container, and it stays soft.  I have had it in one for months and still no problem with it getting hard.  You might try this and see if you like it.  Good luck.

Yup, me too, lock n lock.  It works for me.  

Trusted Contributor

@beach-mom---Do you soak the terra cotta stone?  Let it draw up all the water it can, set it in a piece of foil, and set it on top of sugar. Seal it tight.--------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

Lock n lock containers!  I've never had hard brown sugar, stale crackers, etc.

Both my pantries are nothing but LNLs.  Every staple (or boxed) product comes home from the store & put in LNL.

My present brown sugar is 9 months old -- the expiration use date will come before it every goes "stale or hard" in container!!!!

Honored Contributor

Hard brown sugar can be used by using a grater.

From google:

If you don't want to buy a terra cotta disk, you can put a slice of bread or a slice of an apple or even a damp paper towel in with the brown sugar to keep it soft. (What is quite amazing is that neither the apple nor the bread gets moldy or rancid.

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom  Another vote for using Lock & Lock to store brown sugar.  Try to use a smaller container that will only hold the amount of brown sugar you have to reduce the amount of air that is being stored with the sugar.  

Have had mine stored for months and it's as soft as the day I opened the package.  I keep everything in Lock & Lock, all stacked in the cabinet so I can see what's inside. 

Lock & Lock is one of the best things I have ever purchased on QVC.  

Someone told me once to place a couple of prunes in with the brown sugar.  I never tried that but if you don't have any Lock & Lock, give it a try. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Frequent Contributor

I store my brown sugar in a Tupperware canister that I've had since the 80's, my brown sugar never gets hard, since I keep both the light and dark in the same container I keep them in the plastic bag they come in or a ziplock. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Storing Brown Sugar

[ Edited ]

I live in the desert where everything dries out super fast.  The only container I've ever used that keeps my brown sugar soft is a canister of decorative glass that has a rubber gasket like some old canning jars had.  It has a wire closure that causes the top to press really firmly on the gasket.

My canister is similar as this but larger, of course.

Screenshot_20180418-222654.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment