Esteemed Contributor

Storing Beatrice Bakery 3-lb Grandma's Fruitcake

(M76468) Our order of the Grandma's fruitcake just arrived, and there are no instructions for storing. We want to keep it until Thanksgiving, and maybe store the leftovers for Christmas. I noticed some Forum regulars have commented on this cake, so I'm hoping to hear from you or anyone who knows about these things. The answers on the product page are not clear.  (maybe @Foxxee or @Allegheny )

Trusted Contributor

Re: Storing Beatrice Bakery 3-lb Grandma's Fruitcake

I ordered the 5lb in the tin. Don't know why my hus is the only one in our home that will eat the fruit cake I store it n the tin and place in fridge. It stays good forever. LOL May I ask a ? Jane Treacy is always on the Q. I notice she was not on this past Fri night or on this weekend. I hope she is well. She never misses 

Esteemed Contributor

@sligo  I was thinking, with the amount of alcohol in the cake, it should be OK in the fridge. I guess if I keep it well wrapped, it should be ok and not dry out. Also, I think Jane T. went to Disney for vacay.

Esteemed Contributor

It's just me so I bought a small Claxton bar fruit cake. The wrapper said to refrigerate before slicing and the expiration date is late February.

Esteemed Contributor

Have already eaten one . I am storing the other two in my fridge for ThanksGiving and Christmas

Honored Contributor

That fruitcake, like most, is indestructible.  I bought a box of individually wrapped pieces last Christmas.  I sort of put it aside and forgot about it.  It's still moist and flavorful.  I just ate a piece.   No refrigeration or freezing. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom 

Just received ours, too.  

I store in the freezer.  It can crumble a bit at room temperature, so I slice it cold or frozen.  

I suppose most eat it at room temperature, but everyone in my family likes it cold. It's good frozen, too.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

That fruitcake, like most, is indestructible.  I bought a box of individually wrapped pieces last Christmas.  I sort of put it aside and forgot about it.  It's still moist and flavorful.  I just ate a piece.   No refrigeration or freezing. 

@Kachina624  Hahaha! I just laughed until I choked! That just about says it all!

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee  Thanks for your advice, especially about keeping it cold in order to slice. I think we'll keep it in the fridge until T-Day and then freeze the remainder. And, just thanks for replying to my plea!

Respected Contributor

I do the same as everyone else who commented.   This year I am going to segment, lightly vacuum seal and place in freezer. Otherwise I will be into it constantly.

In your case, I would keep it wrapped in the tin, place a cool place (unheated garage may be) until Thanksgiving and then freeze remainder until Christmas.

Have a great Holiday and enjoy that fruitcake.