Honored Contributor

Store your onions in panty hose!!

Love hints like this!! LOL. Saw an article on this today. What food storage and making your food last longer do you use, or have found that you want to try?

I also wrapped foil on the end of bananas. I want to see how that one works. Also put my tomatoes on the counter, NOT Touching.

Please share how you stretch your food dollars.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Store your onions in panty hose!!

I just saw that on Fox...she put her icream in a zip lock back also.

Jessa
Trusted Contributor

Wrap your celery in tin foil -- it will stay crisp longer.
Honored Contributor

Years ago when we grew our own onions, I did tie, and hang them in the legs of old panty hose so they would dry and last longer. It was a very time consuming task for a bushel of onions, so once was enough for me. Now I just store my onions in a single layer on cardboard in a cool dark corner of the garage. I do wrap my celery in foil. I refrigerate bananas when they reach the level of ripeness I like. I keep my marshmallows in the freezer so they stay loose and don't stick together. I store my cottage cheese and yogurt upside down in the refrigerator. I do my very best to never waste food.
Trusted Contributor

Store lemons and limes in a jar of water in the refrigerator-- they last a really long time.

Valued Contributor

While wearing them???? yewwwwwwwwwwwww!

Frequent Contributor

I heard you should store tomatoes upside down. So I had some small roma's this week and placed them upside down in my egg dish and that fit perfectly!

Esteemed Contributor

After storing onions in a cut down paper grocery bag in the bottom of my refrigerator for years (just to keep onion skins from messing up the interior) - I read that it was the recommended way to keep onions fresh and from sprouting.

Don't close the bag - open so air can circulate - works fabulous.

Super Contributor

I wrap all my stored vegetables in fridge in paper towels and then plastic bags. My green peppers will last a month! It somehow stops them from going gushy... keeps them drier and moisture is the culprit for things going bad in the fridge.

Super Contributor

On 1/29/2015 vabreeze said:

Store lemons and limes in a jar of water in the refrigerator-- they last a really long time.

I wrap each one in a paper towel. keep them together in a plastic bag. Last forever!