Respected Contributor

Store Bought Pumpkin Pie VS Homemade Pumpkin Pie From A Sugar Pumpkin

Is there a real big difference in taste? I have been tempted to buy a sugar pumpkin and try it but I just wanted to get some opinions from this forum first who has tried both and what do you think? It might be too late to pick up a sugar pumpkin at this date anyway . Any opinions would be appreciated. TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: Store Bought Pumpkin Pie VS Homemade Pumpkin Pie From A Sugar Pumpkin

My mother always made Mrs. Smith's frozen pumpkin pie so that is the taste I am used to.  I still buy them.  

Honored Contributor

For me, I can't tell the difference. I have been at parties where there were homemade and also store bought pumpkin pies, and thought they were both good. In fact, I thought both were homemade and asked one of the gals what all she had in it and how long she baked it. She laughed and said: "I would have to look at the box to know what the ingredients are! I got it at Walmart."

Honored Contributor

Store bought pumpkin pies always lack something in the spice department.   They are stingy and never use enough, leaving the taster with unsatisfied taste buds.  It's such an easy pie to make but they seem unable to get it right.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

For me, I can tell the difference. It's in the spices and the amounts. That said, I think you need to have a few items on the menu that give you a break. There are good frozen brands and I do like Mrs. Smiths apple and berry pies.   

Honored Contributor

Mrs. Smith's is fine but pumpkin pie is so easy to make and inexpensive I don't know why you'd buy one.  Now, Mrs. Smith's apple pie is another story.  I get it occasionally when it's on sale.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PinkyPetunia  There was a huge outcry in 2012 when the company decided to discontinue Pumpkin pie from their line.  Reminded me of the "New Coke" fiasco.  Both companies backpedaled on that very fast.

My mom was not a baker (but was an excellent cook) and my father loved pumpkin pie, being a New England Yankee so she always bought this brand for him.  He used to put whipped cream AND vanilla ice cream on his portion.  He and I were the only ones who ate it.

He also liked a wedge of cheese with his apple pie, instead of any other topping and I followed suit.

Honored Contributor

When a friend who is a wonderful cook invited me for Thanksgiving dinner, I asked what I could buy to bring.  Pumpkin pie from Costco was her immediate answer, so pie and Readywhip it is. 

Honored Contributor

If you get a good bought crust and use the extremely simple recipe on the side of the Libby's pumpkin (NOT the pumpkin pie one, the pumpkin only can) I would rather do that than drag one home from the store.

It is simple, excellent, and the house smells good to boot.  That being said, I will confess I don't like pumpkin pies, but the people in my family who do swear by this recipe!  

Take a look at the can--it's super simple! 

Honored Contributor

Serves8
Prep time15 minutes
Cook time55 minutes
Total time1 hours, 10 minutes
Meal typePie
Ingredients
  • 3/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2 Large eggs
  • 1 can LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin (15 oz)
  • 1 can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk (12 fl oz)
  • 1 unbaked 9-inch deep-dish pie shell ((4-cup volume))

Note

This is the traditional LIBBY'S® pumpkin pie recipe for a single pie. This classic recipe has been on LIBBY'S® Pumpkin canned puree  labels since 1950.

This pie is easy to prepare and even easier to enjoy. Just mix, pour, bake for a delicious homemade tradition.

Directions
Mix
1.MIX sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl.
Beat eggs in large bowl.
egs for libby's pumpkin pie
Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture.
add sugar to libby's pumpkin puree
Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
adding milk libby's pumpkin mix
Pour
Pour into pie shell.
pour pumpkin in to pie shell
Bake
BAKE in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes.
libby's pumpkin pie in oven
7.Reduce temperature to 350° F and bake for 40 to 50 minutes more or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
Cool
8.Cool on wire rack for 2 hours.
Let Us Eat
Serve immediately or refrigerate for two days.
slice of libby's pumpkin pie
10.Top with whipped cream before serving.