Honored Contributor

His cookbooks written by him and his wife are called 'Happy Cookbook' something like that. Amazon, has them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Steve Doocy Taco recipe

[ Edited ]

Even though it was poofed  (I got it before it was  LOL) thanks to the gal who sent it.

Honored Contributor

A recipe is copywrited?  How come we haven't run into that before?  

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass wrote:

A recipe is copywrited?  How come we haven't run into that before?  

Good question @depglass. If there are copyright concerns, seems like lots of recipes in the forums would be deleted since they are posted in a similar manner as the one in this thread.  

This is from a website called Plagiarism Today:

Copyright does not protect recipes, “That are mere listings of ingredients,” However, it can, “Extend to substantial literary expression – a description, explanation, or illustration, for example – that accompanies a recipe or formula…”

What this means is that the basics of a recipe are not copyright protected. The list of ingredients and the actual steps that one takes to complete it are not protectable as they are mere facts and formulas. However, the expression of that recipe can be protected, especially if there is a literary description, images, illustrations or other elements along with the recipe.

My takeaway is that it's not a violation of copyright if we list the steps and ingredients.  It's not okay to copy photos and anecdotes that were provided in the original.    

Respected Contributor

Re: Steve Doocy Taco recipe

[ Edited ]

@depglass    I think the reason the recipe was deleted by the moderators is because the person that posted it had taken pictures of the pages printed in the BOOK that contained it and Doocy's cookbook is copyrighted.  Therefore it had to be removed so as to not have QVC be seen as infringing on the copyright law.

If the poster ad typed it in and credited the author that would be okay.  When you find a recipe online from someone's blog you'll see that often they ask you to attribute the recipe to them and to not quote or reproduce their material extensively without prior permission.

I believe that is what @wildcat fan was getting at in her post as well.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Respected Contributor

@Bella2022 wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I have never heard of Steve Doocy - is he a chef?

He is on FOX AND FRIENDS in the mornings with Ainsley and Brian.      

That explains why I've never heard of him.  😏