Respected Contributor

I posted a while ago about not being able to get my oven clean, even after purchasing a steam cleaner.  I returned the Bissel steam cleaner and per recommendation got a Wagner steam cleaner.  I've been using it most of the day and it works so much better than the bissel.  It's not taking everything off at once and not sure if it will but it is much cleaner than it was.  I even tried on the oven racks and there is a significant difference of before and after.  I'm thinking I will have to use some type of cleaner.  Not sure what yet but someone did suggest Spray 9 and I may try that if I can find it.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Steam Cleaning Oven Update

One of the tips that I found from the Clean My Space YouTube channel regarding oven racks was to line your bathtub with a large towel and then place you oven racks in hot water to which you add powdered dishwasher detergent and allow them to soak overnight.  

I was unsure of how well this would work, but was amazed at how clean the racks became.   I only needed to take a Brillo pad and scrub just a few little areas that needed a little more elbow grease.  

It was almost magical how well the detergent removed so much of the stains without having to scrub llike crazy.

Honored Contributor

I like the Dawn Power Wash spray. I also use it on my Ninja Foodi grill and the filter screen for it.  My oven is original to the house built in the 80's and I have only used the Self Cleaning cycle on it once in the 20+ years I have lived here.  Besides that, I never touch it and I didn't do any extra cleaning on the door when I ran the Self Cleaning cycle.  I do need to go back and try again on the little window as there are little specks of brown that didn't come off.  My husband walked in and said Wow!

Oven Door.jpg

Respected Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

One of the tips that I found from the Clean My Space YouTube channel regarding oven racks was to line your bathtub with a large towel and then place you oven racks in hot water to which you add powdered dishwasher detergent and allow them to soak overnight.  

I was unsure of how well this would work, but was amazed at how clean the racks became.   I only needed to take a Brillo pad and scrub just a few little areas that needed a little more elbow grease.  

It was almost magical how well the detergent removed so much of the stains without having to scrub llike crazy.

I did something similar to this many years ago in my other house.  I didn't use powedered detergent.  I think I used Dawn or maybe even bleach.  The problems was all the "crud" mostly went down the drain and they clogged.  Took a lot of Liquid Plumber to fix it.  I thought about doing it again.  Just a little skiddish now.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I like the Dawn Power Wash spray. I also use it on my Ninja Foodi grill and the filter screen for it.  My oven is original to the house built in the 80's and I have only used the Self Cleaning cycle on it once in the 20+ years I have lived here.  Besides that, I never touch it and I didn't do any extra cleaning on the door when I ran the Self Cleaning cycle.  I do need to go back and try again on the little window as there are little specks of brown that didn't come off.  My husband walked in and said Wow!

Oven Door.jpg

The self clean mode of my oven is horrible.  I'm cleaning and cleaning with the steam cleaner now but it doesn't look as good as yours.  My oven in my old house was a Bosch.  The self clean was excellent.  I have built in Dacor ovens (from previous owner) and the self clean doesn't clean as nearly as good as yours.

Respected Contributor

I was going to recommend the new Dawn Powerwash also. I haven't used it on my oven - my self clean cycle works quite well - but that stuff really works great on burned on debris.

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

I would use one of those screen-like drain hair catchers so the crud doesn't cause clogging in the pipes.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I have something called Dawn Power Dissolver.  I use this on oven racks.  It is pretty potent stuff so I spray on outside and put the rack into a trash bag for several hours or over night.  Then I rinse off with a hose. I would never use it inside the house as the smell is pretty overpowering.    

Esteemed Contributor

This is all great info!

My 'cleaning oven' complication is the door. I have an area to clean in between the glass panels! I There are all types of youtube videos guiding you how to separate the front/back part of the door. I'm very good with taking things apart- but not so great putting things back together! It's on my 'to do' list during the pandemic.

Respected Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

This is all great info!

My 'cleaning oven' complication is the door. I have an area to clean in between the glass panels! I There are all types of youtube videos guiding you how to separate the front/back part of the door. I'm very good with taking things apart- but not so great putting things back together! It's on my 'to do' list during the pandemic.

@Ibby114 

Check the bottom of the door. Many ovens have slots that you can use cleaning wands to clean between the glass.