Respected Contributor

Thanks for all of your replies. Now I see that Lodge makes an enameled cast iron dutch oven, which sounds good too and is priced much less than LC or Staub... I'm thinking about the Lodge... Have any of you used the Lodge brand of enameled cast iron pieces.

KatieB

Esteemed Contributor
On 9/18/2014 Sooner said:

None of my Staub looks cheap to me. It is nicely made and finished. I think their transparent, rich colors are actually prettier than the crayon-box LC ones. But then I love them too. . . But Staub is more sophisticated looking I think.

I'm glad you like them both!

I love the way Le Creuset looks, the way they function, the variety and how easy it is to clean the pieces.

Lodge has very good cast iron, though I haven't tried their enameled sets.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

Staub and LC both function and clean exactly the same. They are both French made enameled cast iron. Staub has some very stylish colors like their basil green, dark blue and graphite colors. They also have very stylish metal knobs on their lids that are also functional and don't have temperature limits like the LC phenolic knobs do. I have both and I personally think that Staub has a more sophisticated design and color choices than LC. Although I have a lot more LC than Staub in my collection. I really don't like the rotund new design changes that LC made in the last couple years. All my stuff is from the older line.

The Lodge enameled cast iron line is made in China as are the celebrity endorsed ECI lines like Emeril's and Martha Stewart. They don't have the proven track record of quality and longevity as the French made products. I've read quite a few reviews from people who have issues with the China made enamel wearing off and being easily scratched and we just had a thread on the issue of the Martha Stewart ECI chipping and flying off while being cooked in.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

jaxs, Le Creuset claims they have temperature limits for their knobs, but I don't think that's the case.

I have had the lids in the oven for high temperature cooking so many times! Nothing has happened to the knobs other than the screws underneath coming loose.

I'm going to edit my previous statement. It wasn't Staub that was the cheap knock off! OOOPPS!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

My BIL works at Williams Sonoma and sells both Le Creuset and Staub. Both are very high quality products....equal quality, functionality, and durability. I'd be happy with either.

Super Contributor

Both are great and Lodge is also good........I have a Le Creuset covered casserole in the red that I received many years ago. It was great for roasts, beef stews, spaghetti gravy and so many things........unfortunately, I had to give it to my DS a few years ago after hurting my shoulder. The weight along with the food inside was just too heavy for me to handle. I miss the way cast iron cooks. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Trusted Contributor

I have pieces from both lines and will purchase from both, in the future. Like others have mentioned, Le Creuset's colors tend to be a bit brighter, while Staub's are a deeper. For me, performance is the same, so it comes down to which colors are available in the size that I "need" at that time.

I have more Le Creuset, but primarily because my man hasn't quite grasped the whole "no metal utensils" concept. If the pots are brightly colored and "pretty", he has a tendency to leave them alone :-)

Honored Contributor

The one benefit of Staub is that the dark interior enamel color doesn't show stains like the cream color LC interior. I have a couple stained LC pieces due to my husband using them. Even using the LC cleaner and bar keepers friend I can't get the stains out. Oh well.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Contributor

Don't have LC, but love my Staub! I bought it here at the Q quite a few years ago when they carried that line. It was offered at an unbelievably low price. Wish I had gotten more.

Honored Contributor

I've never had any of my LC stain. I wonder if the LC people have any ideas to help you get it out of there. I have pots I've used extensively, on top of the stove and in the oven. They all look just like brand new.