Respected Contributor

Staub Cast Iron 3.75 qt Essential French Oven..

[ Edited ]

Does anyone have this Staub cast-iron 3.75 qt essential french oven?  It has a curved shape, not strait sides like the coquettes or dutch ovens. I am looking for a smaller cast iron pot that would be great for soups, stews, chili, and/or stir fry and this shape seems like it would be beneficial.  Need to know about volume, can it hold a whole chicken for roasting, short ribs, pot roast, etc.

The TSV for 12/6 is for the Le Creuset 4.5 qt Chef's Oven, same shape but more volume.  I already preordered this one, has shipped, and waiting for arrival.

But I need to know about the Staub 3.75 qt.  It is smaller and I like the idea of the smaller pot.....   thanks for any feedback.....

Honored Contributor

Re: Staub Cast Iron 3.75 qt Essential French Oven..

@ScarletDove  Having had both, I can say I think Le Creuset is superior to the Staub.  

I prefer the round ovens to the oval but a LOT of people don't.  The 3.75 (?) quart round ones would probably hold a small chicken.  The LC cookbooks want you to really fill the pot to get the best results from it.  

To me the smallest ones you'd use so much would be the 4 quart sizes.  I use the 5's most, and the 6-7 quarts are for big batches. 

I hope that is helpful!  I really love the Le Creusets!  

Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove On second thought, is the Staub you are talking about the wok-shaped one with the glass lid???  I had one, but don't find it very useful. . . not like the "regular" ones. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@ScarletDove On second thought, is the Staub you are talking about the wok-shaped one with the glass lid???  I had one, but don't find it very useful. . . not like the "regular" ones. 

@Sooner  No, it is not the wok one with glass lid.  Here is a link to this Staub French Oven.....in many different locations, but this one gives you a good description (Cutlery & More).....

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/staub/essential-french-oven-p135180?gclid=Cj0KCQiAjO_QBRC4ARIsAD2FsXOF...

FYI, the Le Creuset 4.5 qt TSV is K46771  The Staub is basically the same "mixing-bowl" shape, just smaller 3.75 qt. 

Occasional Contributor

Staub is an exceptional product.

Staub is probably the lesser known French cast iron compared to le creuset.

I have a 5 quart round and a 7 quart oval Dutch oven.

the lids fit tight and baste the food just like the company says they will do.

Rolling boils and no spill over from what I’ve experienced.

Their weight is substantial well made pieces with the black enamel interiors.

Clean up is easy but beware you can chip the enamel exterior if not careful.

i would suggest cleaning the pieces separately from one another as to not damage the lid or the vessel.

I know your not buying a Dutch oven but hope this helps with your purchase.

Staub is a great product and expensive but treat it carefully and it will provide you with years of cooking enjoyment!

ScottDVC

Respected Contributor

Surlatable has a 4 qt Staub Cocotte for $99 today. The colors are cherry and black. It is a very good buy .

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

no that size isn't going to hold a pot roast or a whole chicken. The smallest I'd go for a chicken would be 5 qt. 

Soup, stew and chili, it's going to depend on the normal recipe volume you cook. I make those in a 7 qt. You need room to stir for one thing. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

no that size isn't going to hold a pot roast or a whole chicken. The smallest I'd go for a chicken would be 5 qt. 

Soup, stew and chili, it's going to depend on the normal recipe volume you cook. I make those in a 7 qt. You need room to stir for one thing. 

@jaxs mom    I am cooking for only myself........reason for the smaller vessel questions--sorry I did not mention in initial post....thanks for your feedback

Respected Contributor

@scottdvc wrote:

Staub is an exceptional product.

Staub is probably the lesser known French cast iron compared to le creuset.

I have a 5 quart round and a 7 quart oval Dutch oven.

the lids fit tight and baste the food just like the company says they will do.

Rolling boils and no spill over from what I’ve experienced.

Their weight is substantial well made pieces with the black enamel interiors.

Clean up is easy but beware you can chip the enamel exterior if not careful.

i would suggest cleaning the pieces separately from one another as to not damage the lid or the vessel.

I know your not buying a Dutch oven but hope this helps with your purchase.

Staub is a great product and expensive but treat it carefully and it will provide you with years of cooking enjoyment!

ScottDVC

@scottdvc    Thanks for the glowing recommendation--I appreciate.  Also looking at 4 qt coquette--on sale several locations.....

Respected Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

Surlatable has a 4 qt Staub Cocotte for $99 today. The colors are cherry and black. It is a very good buy .

@tiny 2  Thanks, Amazon also has the 4 qt. coquette at same price, but only in matte black....