Regular Contributor

Re: Status of Vidalia onion crop --not real good news

@Snowpuppy  Thanks so much for the response!  I did see that on their website after I posted.   Not sure how much to purchase.   Do you know approximately how many medium onions are in a 20 lb box?  

Esteemed Contributor

@Suz614 wrote:

@Snowpuppy  Thanks so much for the response!  I did see that on their website after I posted.   Not sure how much to purchase.   Do you know approximately how many medium onions are in a 20 lb box?  

Call them on Monday, they have great, old fashioned CS. You get the farm employees on the phone!

Each box is 10lbs. I have an older fridge with 2 traditional crisper drawers and can tell you that 1 10 lb box filled an crisper drawer. 

Honored Contributor

@Suz614 wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

I get the 20lb medium onion bag from Morris Farms

@SharkE , is that Morris Farms in Uvalda? Your endorsement is valuable, and I'm on the verge of ordering 20 lb medium, too.

They have a page on their site about storage that looks helpful.

Yep, I paid total 38 something for a double box weighing 20 lbs of mediums

Those jumbo's are too big. Mediums are large to me. LOL Husband won't eat 'em. Some yrs. they have more acid then others. Secret is to cut the ends off and either slice thick or just cut the ends off and let soak in bowl of water, dry with paper towel and put in refrigerator use when ready.

@SharkE - I am considering ordering for the first time based on your experience.  Can you tell me the difference in size between the jumbo and medium? Approximately, how many onions does a 20lb medium size yield?  I have a family of 4. Thanks so much!

You get lot more of the mediums. Those jumbos are just too big to handle 

Can't slice them, etc.  Stick with the mediums. Don't take to many jumbos to get to 20 lbs. Better value is mediums and they're not small either.

Regular Contributor

@Snowpuppy and @SharkE -  thanks again for your responses.  You've assisted greatly in my first order of Vidalia onions.

Wishing you and y our families continued good health and safety!  All the best!

Honored Contributor

From a gardening standpoint, a Vidalia onion is just a yellow Granex variety that can be grown just about anywhere. The soil in Georgia is low in sulfur which helps to make those grown there taste sweeter, but a lot of the country has low sulfur soil also and can grow the exact same onions, but they can't label them as Vidalia onions unless they're grown in that specific region. Much of what you're paying for is the marketing.

It's kind of like how true champagne can only come from one small region of France. Everything else is just sparkling wine. It can look the same, taste the same (it can even taste better), cost the same (or more), but if it doesn't come from the Champagne region, it's not champagne. An identical onion grown outside of the Vidalia region of Georgia can't be labeled a Vidalia even if it's the exact same in nearly every way.

Even a "Vidalia" onion grown in the right region of Georgia can't be labeled a Vidalia onion unless its grower is a registered grower by the Vidalia Onion Committee, has filed the reports and paid the fees required by the committee, has had no or few complaints filed to the committee, conforms to the standards set forth in Federal Marketing Order #955, and enhances and supports the brand recognition of Vidalia onions.

Two farmers in adjacent fields growing the identical onions in identical conditions and using identical techniques, can't both sell them as Vidalia onions unless they both comply with the rules of the Vidalia Onion Committee. Most of what you're paying for with a Vidalia onion is marketing. It's clever marketing, but it's marketing. You do know what you're getting with a Vidalia onion where others could be more hit or miss, but it's just a yellow Granex onion that can be grown in much of the country.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

True, I don't mind paying for them.  When I first discovered them yrs. ago they were beyond good. I used to eat them like apples ! True story ! My husband would say "what in the world isn't that burning your mouth out"?

I'd say nope, fine eating. LOL   Thru the yrs. they started getting more acid in them, but, they're still head and shoulders above the grocery varities. I 'd fall for the different names you saw in stores.

Tx. sweet onion

'Sweet' onion

'Sweet' red onion     Nope, just cutting off a little bitty edge I'd rush to the kitchen faucet with tears rolling down my face. LOL

If you want them super perfect, just slice the ends off and I slice thru the middle and put in bowl of water for few hrs. LIke the other poster said and I'll have to try is a tad of vinegar in the water.

Everybody's taste buds are different and they eat them straight out of the box. I like mine pretty mild.  Anything is better then those acid burning, tear starter, hot as hale ones from the grocery. Can't go those things !  My DH wouldn't touch an onion if it was the last thing to eat on earth. LOL If we're eating out he'll take off his plate I'll reach over and grab 'em hahhahaha

I've read , don't know if it's true, I'm not a Dr. but , they say onions can help prevent heart attacks !   I'll sure never have 1 that's for sure. LOL

Honored Contributor

It sounds like this year's crop isn't the greatest, but there will be - in the words of QVC - enough to go around.

Respected Contributor

FYI to Morris Farms customers, my order is on the UPS truck, out for delivery right now. Going to dig out some old pantyhose and get them stored in the basement after I check them in. Will be using some right away for a dish with pork chops, onions, apples, and boiled cider.

Honored Contributor

Mine too ! I was surprised this early and UPS said 'out for delivery'

Yay ! Thought they would ship out next week. On the ball they are !

Respected Contributor

Really sturdy box. I'm impressed. It got damp from the rain--very wet here today--but I'll bring them to the basement later and spread them out on the furnace for an hour or so so I know they're dry before I knot them up. The furnace top gets very warm but not hot enough to cook them.

Sure hope you get your IRS $ soon, @SharkE . Cat Frustrated