Honored Contributor

Re: Status of Vidalia onion crop --not real good news

@noodleann wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

I get the 20lb medium onion bag from Morris Farms

@SharkE , is that Morris Farms in Uvalda? Your endorsement is valuable, and I'm on the verge of ordering 20 lb medium, too.

They have a page on their site about storage that looks helpful.

Yep, I paid total 38 something for a double box weighing 20 lbs of mediums

Those jumbo's are too big. Mediums are large to me. LOL Husband won't eat 'em. Some yrs. they have more acid then others. Secret is to cut the ends off and either slice thick or just cut the ends off and let soak in bowl of water, dry with paper towel and put in refrigerator use when ready.

I got some one time at Sam's Club that wasn't bad and I though boy i won't pay to have them bought in no more from GA. I'll just go to Sam's. then when you try to do that they're hot as fire or they don't get them in at all .

Only few counties in Ga . that are allowed to grow them that's how you know if they're the real McCoy or not.  They might already be sold out they fly out the door. Better restaurants buy them you know. I order mine as soon as the website comes alive. after they sell out they don't do anything with the website for the yr. They ship out first week of May.

Bland Onion farms is good too, but, they charge to much for shipping. 

I put 20 lbs in the refrigerator in May and I have some still right now. Sure, they grow those 'tops' on 'em, but, just cut it off. You can buy 10lbs . 20lbs or 30 lbs. I 've just always bought the 20. If crisper won't take the whole 20 lbs I'll put in big bowl on the counter and use 'em up. 

If there's anything better then a grilled burger with a big slice of Vidalia onion on it I haven't had it. ROFL

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 @SharkE You can sweeten any chopped onion in vinegar water.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Thanks, @SharkE, and for all the tips on keeping them. I always suspect that what we get as Vidalias up north are just anemic cooking onions--don't have that Vidalia shape. I'll go order my box. It'll be my cranky shut-in treat, and nobody will get close enough to me to worry about my breath, LOL.

Honored Contributor

My mother in law used to keep hers in old panty hose or back then they would say 'stockings'. Some women would take an old nylon, cut the bottom out and tie it in a knot and then stuff the onions in and hang up.

This was what they did WAY BACK WHEN she was born in 1919 and she would tell me tales about how people lived back then. She's dead now of course.  I just keep mine in refrigerator and have for yrs. If a onion is dug fresh and shipped it's not like buying at the store those don't keep well at all

Got to remember these are fresh dug out of the field , boxed and shipped

Why they're not cheap. Keep for me real well humidity controlled crisper.

Can always go online and see "how do you perserve onions", etc.

Esteemed Contributor

I got a reminder post card from Morris Farms. Checked their website and they plan to ship early May. Ordered on the rec from @SharkE . Good service, good product. Think I ordered the medium last year.

Note on hose/pantyhose storage method, tie a knot between each onion. As you cut an onion off, the rest stay in place. No need to root around in your pantyhose.

Well, unless that's your idea of fun 😜

Honored Contributor

Guess that's what she meant, before my time. LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's truly a shame for the farmers.

To rely on (and usually be profitable) growing a crop that's in demand, yet can only be grown during a short time is tragic.

A lot of that is going on in FL south of us.  Many farmers supplied theme parks, restaurants, etc., and are unable to even sell to grocery stores as they have their own contracts.

Denise
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Twenty counties  (more than just a few) in the sandy soils of  southeastern Georgia are "Vidalia onion" official growing sites.

If an onion at your local store doesn't have Vidalia on the label, it's not really a Vidalia onion from one of those counties,  unless some counterfeits are being sold.  (You can tell by the way the onion looks, anyway, to know it's authentic, in my opinion.)

At Costco yesterday, I saw bags of absolutely beautiful sweet  yellow onions from Bland farms........not Vidalias, but far more appealing than most yellow onions seen in grocery stores around here.

I would have bought a bag, but am holding out for some authentic Vidalias.

Most of the year, I buy any old  sweet yellow onions--not plain yellow onions.  The sweets are sold alongside regular yellow onions in groceries around here.  Not sure how great the difference is, but "sweet" sounds more appealing!!

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Twenty counties  (more than just a few) in the sandy soils of  southeastern Georgia are "Vidalia onion" official growing sites.

If an onion at your local store doesn't have Vidalia on the label, it's not really a Vidalia onion from one of those counties,  unless some counterfeits are being sold.  (You can tell by the way the onion looks, anyway, to know it's authentic, in my opinion.)

At Costco yesterday, I saw bags of absolutely beautiful sweet  yellow onions from Bland farms........not Vidalias, but far more appealing than most yellow onions seen in grocery stores around here.

I would have bought a bag, but am holding out for some authentic Vidalias.

Most of the year, I buy any old  sweet yellow onions--not plain yellow onions.  The sweets are sold alongside regular yellow onions in groceries around here.  Not sure how great the difference is, but "sweet" sounds more appealing!!

I see the same thing in my stores, @novamc1 , or have in past years--onions labelled as "sweet," but they're not Vidalia. It would be especially nice this year to have a taste treat, which is why I hopped on sharke's recommendation of Morris Farms. She's ordered from them before, and apparently Snowpuppy has as well. That means Morris isn't trying to change a wholesale model to direct-to-consumer in the midst of all these challenges, but are experienced in fulfilling our little orders for 10, 20, etc. pounds. 

That sold me, and I ordered my #20 of mediums last night. I'm hoping they send a tickler email when they ship, but I'll start checking the website the first week of May. It's something to look forward to and you can eat it, and that's a winning formula in my books.

Honored Contributor

They go ahead and hit your charge card when you order, no matter when you order, so, they know how much to set aside.

MIght be my own theory, but, I always figure they sell the better ones to the folks who are paying the most. Right there in GA. you can buy local for a lot cheaper, but, I bet they sell the # 2's or 3's . I got a pal who lives there, but, don't want to ask her to send them to me, pay shp have to pay her back, etc. Too much hassle,  Mine always come first week of May. As long as you have your order # can call toll free and just ask "has order # blah, blah, been shipped yet. if they give you a tracking # UPS can track.

My driver always glad to get mine off his truck hahahahhaha  "here take these" hahhahahah  some people don't care for onions. I don't like coffee, so, there you go. LOL