Honored Contributor

Re: Status of Vidalia onion crop --not real good news

Me, too, but, I've pretty well put it on the back burner. If it happens, it happens, if not guess I won't need to worry about putting that money back for Xmas. LOL   Gov. needs it more then we do, I guess.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If this helps anyone....I got my order of Vidalias from Morris Farms today.  I got a 10 pound box of the medium size...I believe it was just under $25, free shipping.  Came in a sturdy box with a few air holes.  

There were 23 onions in the box.  I took a picture of one next to my cup of coffee (Fiesta)...so you can get an idea of the size.  Excuse my dirty dishes....I was just getting ready to clean up lol!

34427B66-DFC6-4DF5-B3DC-36556B6AB7C0.jpeg

Honored Contributor

picked up two bags of vidalia onions today at sams club.

they had quite a lot.

each bag was 6 pounds and was $6.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

slice and soak in bowl of water if too strong for you.

some people recommend putting in tblespoon of vinegar in water.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've really been enjoying my box from Morris Farms. Been having a Greek or chef salad every day for a couple of weeks and have a whole small or half a larger onion in every salad. I know people use red onion for salads, but these are perfect to me. It's so quaint to go down to the basement and cut off another onion from the knotted trouser stockings I have hanging up down there. 

ETA it looks as if Morris has sold out of their boxes of onions. Every version I checked was out of stock. The relishes, dressings, etc. are available.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, why I order mine around last of March think it is. I go to their website don't wait for the email or mail notice.  I'm first in Q LOL

I've been using from the Sam's Club brand just to delay using the better onions. As long as it says "grown in Ga."  G R Farms is the ones I'm using up first since they're cheaper and local.

Respected Contributor

I've just put a memo in my PIM for April 1, 2021, to order more from Morris Farms.

Honored Contributor

pittman and davis still has vidalias available to order......10, 15, and 25 pound bags. you get a free onion cooker with your order also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Just a heads up for those ordering or considering storing a quantity, Vidalia season and the shipments usually ends around July 4th.

Honored Contributor

We're on our third bag so far this season!  They've been so good.