Respected Contributor

Status of Vidalia onion crop --not real good news

[ Edited ]

I can't post the link to the story in this morning's Atlanta Journal-Constitution newspaper but you can find it by going to AJC dot com, Today's News, headline as follows:.....

Growers of Georgia’s signature crop wary of virus effects

Excerpts from the story........

<<Growers of Vidalia onions battled too much rain this winter, causing some losses of the signature Georgia crop.

Now, as the official first day of shipping arrives Thursday, farmers are keeping an eye on the coronavirus.

Many are worried about how the pandemic, which over the course of five weeks has disrupted almost every phase of ordinary life, will affect the 2020 season.

Seasonal workers from Mexico were delayed by travel bans, but are beginning to arrive in the 20 counties of southeast Georgia where Vidalias can be grown, easing fears of a manpower shortage.

“Some of the workers are coming in OK, and some ain’t got here yet,” said Johnny Beasley of Beasley Farms in Uvalda.

Farmers also are anxious to see how sales go after the problems experienced by vegetable farmers in south Florida.

This year, winter rains cut into the Vidalia crop.

“The onions didn’t mature like they were supposed to,” Beasley said. He farms about 300 acres.

“The crop is way, way down,” he said. He expects to harvest about 40% less than last year, which had been a banner year for many Vidalia growers.

He said a conference call with growers Wednesday confirmed that most growers are seeing a significant drop in yield.>>

more of the story can be found online

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Status of Vidalia onion crop --not real good news

😢 

Trusted Contributor

This is sad news for the farmers. Vidalia onions are hands down the best onions on earth. I look so forward to them every year. 

Honored Contributor

I put in order back last of March think it was. Haven't been told of any delays they have already hit my credit card. Suppose to ship out first of May

Honored Contributor

Sad news for me, too.  I personally go through 30-40 pounds of Vidalias a year, and I cook mainly for two.  I put onions in everything except cereal. 

Honored Contributor

I get the 20lb medium onion bag from Morris Farms

Respected Contributor

Oh,no. I'm a big fan of onions especially Vidalias.I live alone and eat at least one a week.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE Do you have a particular way of storing your onions?  I'd like to order but am afraid they'd go bad before I can get to them all. 

Respected Contributor

I live in Georgia.  They're hard to find in years past on a regular basis in my town.  When they do get them, it's not very many and they sell out fast.  I already resigned to not finding them this year.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I get the 20lb medium onion bag from Morris Farms

@SharkE , is that Morris Farms in Uvalda? Your endorsement is valuable, and I'm on the verge of ordering 20 lb medium, too.

They have a page on their site about storage that looks helpful.