Honored Contributor

Re: Stainless steel baking dish question

I think it must be the pan that is the problem.

Honored Contributor

what is it good for , then, I wonder? It's a bread loaf pan. Bought it on vacation couple of days ago because it was so shiny and dishwasher safe.

Think I outsmarted myself. LOL Course, glass, is dishwasher safe, too.

Trusted Contributor

Stainless steel is  a poor conductor of heat, and most stainless pans do not have the thermal mass to hold onto heat and transfer it.

Because of these issues, good stainless cookware has aluminum or copper cores (e.g. All-Clad).  Other poor conductors of heat are glass and cast iron, but these substances have significant thermal mass which hold onto heat and then tranfer to the items being cooked.  Alas, stainless does not.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

My engineers in the family say glass or ceramic would work better.  Thus your success with the pyrex pan.

Honored Contributor

Yikes ! my new purchase isn't worth a toot !

wahhhhhhhhhhhhh

ROFL

Esteemed Contributor

When cooking with my stainless steel pots in the oven everything cooks quicker and comes out better than with my ceramics. That is really odd about the meatloaf taking so long. I do like meat cooked well done so an hour for meatloaf seems like a normal time.  That being said I cook 2 meatloafs in one pan that is usuallly over 3 pounds.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE@You could use it for chilled dishes, like gelain molds (not necessarily Jello), or desserts.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops

@millieshops wrote:

@Done Tryin  --- My favorite meatloaf pan has a sieved insert so that the loaf sits up out of the fat. 

I used to use one of those but the freeform method works better in that it allows the air/heat to circulate around 3 sides of the loaf.   If I set it on a rack on a sheet pan, the fat will drip down, too.  It's really all about personal preference, though, isn't it?

Respected Contributor

@SharkE

I have a stainless steel biscuit pan (meaning a round shallow pan with handles on each side).  I retired that pan to the back of a cabinet somewhere a long time ago, after discovering that virtually any other material--glass, aluminum, ceramic, cast iron-- does better in the oven than stainless steel.

I don't know whether  the type of metal caused your poor results, but I'd put a little money on the bet.

Stainless on a stove works fine, but I think that for baking, it just doesn't hold and conduct heat evenly as well as most other materials do.

Better luck the next time!  I like meatloaf but never make it anymore....DH isn't a big fan, preferring instead to cook ground beef plain on the grill.  B-O-R-I-N-G...........

Honored Contributor

just so dang purdy ! LOL

I'm like a crow..................LOL