Honored Contributor
On 1/21/2014 depglass said:

I think you need the bone of a smoked pork product, ham bone or ham hocks or ham shanks. I've made it with just plain cut up ham and we didn't think the ham flavor came through.

Sometimes I'd just like to wear a smoked ham hock around my neck all day! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

We almost always use ham now because it isn't as fat but nothing on earth goes in a pot of pinto beans like a couple of good ham hocks! I'll bet they worshiped the first person to drag those out of the fire and pass them around.

Honored Contributor

I make a weird "split pea" because just plain split pea is to bland for me. Split Pea Stew is more like it. I make a strong stock, either chicken or vegetarian. Then i add 1 diced onion, 1 cup diced carrots and a cup diced celery to a tiny bit of olive oil and 1 teas butter and saute until slightly glazed. I add broth and a few pieces of chicken until chicken is poached. Remove chicken

16 cups broth to mire poix

3 cups organic split peas (there is a difference with this one)

1 diestel smoked turkey thigh

simmer about 45 mins to hour until peas are breaking down.

add

1cup sliced celery

1 cup sliced carrots

2 red potatoes , diced medium

1 sweet potato, diced med

1/2 cup cooked brown rice (I use left over)

1/2 cupcooked pasta like elbow

return chicken broken into skinless, boneless hunks

cook for at least 30 minutes

Honored Contributor
On 1/21/2014 Sooner said:

I think you need the bone of a smoked pork product, ham bone or ham hocks or ham shanks. I've made it with just plain cut up ham and we didn't think the ham flavor came through.

Sometimes I'd just like to wear a smoked ham hock around my neck all day! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

We almost always use ham now because it isn't as fat but nothing on earth goes in a pot of pinto beans like a couple of good ham hocks! I'll bet they worshiped the first person to drag those out of the fire and pass them around.

Have you ever tried ham shanks? Those are really nice too. They have more meat and less fat than the ham hocks. I could not count how many times, back in the day, I made a pot of beans and ham hocks!

Also, when I lived in Germany (Army) I was always making them for all the Southern boys who missed their mother's cooking. I was their age, but had already been cooking for so many years. They loved it.

Honored Contributor
On 1/21/2014 chickenbutt said:
On 1/21/2014 Sooner said:

Have you ever tried ham shanks? Those are really nice too. They have more meat and less fat than the ham hocks. I could not count how many times, back in the day, I made a pot of beans and ham hocks!

Also, when I lived in Germany (Army) I was always making them for all the Southern boys who missed their mother's cooking. I was their age, but had already been cooking for so many years. They loved it.

You always have good ideas! Just buy a shank portion of ham and have the butcher cut the end off!!!!!! Beans never have that silky quality with anything but hocks do they? LOL!!! Off to pen "An Ode to Ham Hocks!"

Honored Contributor

Ha! Good one. I shall expect to see the photo of you with ham hocks around your neck. Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

My father and DH always put a little bit of vinegar in their bowl of soup.

Valued Contributor

If you want a great split pea soup recipe check out Ina Garten's recipe for Parker Pea Soup - it's the best I've ever tasted. The only thing that raises it up a notch is the addition of a ham bone with some meat on it.

Maria

Honored Contributor

I have one ham bone (with ham on it, of course) in the freezer. Usually, I make the split pea soup within a week of having made the ham for christmas and this time my husband was wanting my turkey chili, so I didn't feel like making the soup too.

I recently acquired these Foodsaver bags that are 11" bags but are pleated so that they go wider. That ham bone went in there perfectly, so now I don't have to worry about how soon I feel like making the soup. I wouldn't freeze something like that for long-term if I couldn't vacuum seal it, so this was a nice plus. I always had to hurry up and make the soup before.

Trusted Contributor

I have one ham bone (with ham on it, of course) in the freezer. Usually, I make the split pea soup within a week of having made the ham for christmas and this time my husband was wanting my turkey chili, so I didn't feel like making the soup too.

I recently acquired these Foodsaver bags that are 11" bags but are pleated so that they go wider. That ham bone went in there perfectly, so now I don't have to worry about how soon I feel like making the soup. I wouldn't freeze something like that for long-term if I couldn't vacuum seal it, so this was a nice plus. I always had to hurry up and make the soup before.

Chickenbutt, where do you find the pleated Foodsaver bags? I only have the 11" bag roll so they aren't pleated. I get these at Costco. Are these pleated bags already made or do you have to make them in the saver? Thanks.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Honored Contributor
On 1/21/2014 Divine said:

Chickenbutt, where do you find the pleated Foodsaver bags? I only have the 11" bag roll so they aren't pleated. I get these at Costco. Are these pleated bags already made or do you have to make them in the saver? Thanks.

HERE is the two-roll box of them on Amazon, so you can see what they are about. Just make sure you cut a bag long enough so that the pleated sides can come back flat with enough space to put into your vacuum sealer. Pretty cool idea, and way to do something that is wider than 11" yet the bag material still fits in standard vac sealers. Smiley Happy

I've not yet seen them pre-cut. I like the rolls better, anyway, so I can cut my own length.