Honored Contributor

Re: Spiral zucchini noodles - fail.

@house_cat

and other spiralizer gals...

Back in early August, @momtochloe  posted a link to Chicken Zoodle Soup.

It was fantastic and HEALTHY!!  Here is the link to her thread...and in it is the link to the site.....

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Recipes/Chicken-Zoodle-Soup/m-p/3009300#M60926

Honored Contributor

I love the zucchini noodles.  I downloaded a Kindle book of Spiralizer recipies - dealing with various vegetables.  Lots of free recipe books if you have Kindle Unlimited.

I've had them raw in salads and cooked with sauces.  The trick to keeping them firm is to take into account the amount of additional liquid they will add to the sauce and add them at the end just to heat.  I've never had anything turn mushy.

Respected Contributor

@MKR14 wrote:

@Imadickens  I spiralize my zucchini noodles and roll them up in a paper towel to get the extra moisture off them. Then I put them in a Lock and Lock with paper towels on the bottom and then paper towels on the top and refrigerate overnight. I have left them for three days in the refrigerator and they are still fine. Then they are dry and I fry them on a high heat for a few minutes with a little garlic and just a small amount of olive oil. The more you cook them the softer they become. Then use whatever sauce you want on them. Just the way I do them. They will never be firm as regular pasta so do as a poster said and cut carbs in other ways if not happy with them. I am going to try them in an air fryer some day too. Smiley Happy

Thanks for the info! I love zucchini so I've been anxious to try these! I was thinking, if they aren't the greatest replacement maybe I could mix these with real pasta. Half the carbs is better than all! The spirals would add "bulk" to half a serving of spaghetti, thus filling me up on less! My mother used to use cauliflower in place of pasta! It was nearly the same color, flavorless enough not to interfere with the flavor of the sauce, and filling!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

I spiralize my zukes seconds before I need to cook them---none of this salting or patting dry hassel. I have my skillet ready, I noodle the zuke and throw them in the pan, season, toss a few times for about 3 minutes, and they are done. Would never try to cut them and then store them for later. always turn out great.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much everyone, especially to the OP for starting the thread. I've been holding back making zoodles because of not knowing how to get the moisture out. Now I can get my recipes out!

Regular Contributor

@Day1128 wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

What's the trick to making veggie "noodles" with the spiralizer?

I made zucchini noodles tonight, let them drain in a colander for two hours prior, but they were still mushy.

I know they'll never taste like pasta, but I think I did something wrong. 

Are they intended to be eaten raw?

zucchini noodles with shrimp.JPG

I drained mine by squeezing the noodles in a dish towel. Lots of water came out. Also, the first time I made them I cooked them in the skillet where I had cooked other things that had liquid. They were soggy.  The 2nd time, I briefly (one or two minutes, just to heat) cooked in a skillet that had a small amount of olive oil only. They turned out better. I also separated the noodles a little as they came out of the spiralized so they wouldn't stick together. 

When did you drain the noodles in a dish towel? Directly after spiralizing?

Honored Contributor

@Dreamchaser

This is what works for me...

I line a colander w/ a paper towel in the sink.

I spiralize right into it.

I sprinkle a tiny bit of salt.

Fold the paper towel edges over.

Gently press down to get the moisture out.

Then I go about the business of preparing the rest of the dish...when it is time to add the spiralized veggies...the majority of the moisture is gone and they are ready to use!  I allow only about 3-5 mins. more of cooking once the spiralized veg goes in the dish.

Hope this helps.

I just made the Chicken Zoodle Soup again yesty, and it was delish!

Regular Contributor

That does help, thanks!!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think trying to use zucchini as pasta is a really bad idea.  I'll use the real thing and cut back somewhere else.  I want to enjoy my food.

What makes you think a lot of people don't enjoy zucchini?

Just because people are just learning how to process and cook them to get the desired results doesn't mean they don't enjoy them. 

I've used zucchini as pasta and love it.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Thanks, everyone!

I'm so glad I asked. I have a much better idea of what to do next time.

Any suggestions for other veggies that work well?

@house_cat

I believe we're not allowed to post links but if you

YouTube FullyRawKristina, she's a raw food vlogger.

Kristina has LOTS of recipe ideas for spiralized noodles.

She has one called 'Rainbow Pasta'...and it has carrots, beets & oer good stuff.   I've spiralized sweet potatoes & baked them.