Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

The Spice Shelf in the opening post is great if your jars all fit and there's no over-flow.  I've collected far too many and all sizes, have purchased containers to make them easy to stack and accessible, have purchased drawers that pull out and hang down (love those), and several other means to keep them corralled and still I'm dissatisfied with how much space and spread out they are.

So -- Plan is to not replace what ages out unless it is a staple.  No more fancy blends that seldom get used.  No more various types of cinnamons, steak seasonings, sea food variations.  Etc. Etc.  

This goal will be on the Spring Cleaning list - going through them once again purging the old once and for all.

Yes, I'll be doing some weeding out too, @Free2be   I have a number of spices that I once thought were musts but I rarely use anymore.  They way I cook these days, I have a specific collection that I use regularly, my staples, and a few blends that I use. 

Honored Contributor

I have always had this wooden spice rack from a company that was based here called "Three Mountaineers".

I tole painted the front with a branch of apples.  It's on a wall; my dried spices don't take up cabinet space.

20 x 19

thumbnail  5 - Vintage 1965's Three Mountaineers Inc Herbs Spices Wall Cabinet Rack

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch - The cabinets I have available for spice storage are narrow, so it was a struggle for awhile to figure out what would work best. I purchased the "Spicy Shelf" system a few years back and it has been great—all the standard-size spices fit on the shelves and the center is open for taller or wider containers. I ended up adjusting my shelf positions and setting up parts of the Spicy Shelf in two shelf areas to make them easier to access. You can get this product just about anywhere, from Target to Walmart to Amazon, and it has been a great system for me (apparently there is a "deluxe" version now, as shown in the photo). Good luck with your search!

Amazon.com: The ONLY REAL Spicy Shelf Deluxe (1 set of 2 shelves): Home &  Kitchen

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch - The cabinets I have available for spice storage are narrow, so it was a struggle for awhile to figure out what would work best. I purchased the "Spicy Shelf" system a few years back and it has been great—all the standard-size spices fit on the shelves and the center is open for taller or wider containers. I ended up adjusting my shelf positions and setting up parts of the Spicy Shelf in two shelf areas to make them easier to access. You can get this product just about anywhere, from Target to Walmart to Amazon, and it has been a great system for me (apparently there is a "deluxe" version now, as shown in the photo). Good luck with your search!

Amazon.com: The ONLY REAL Spicy Shelf Deluxe (1 set of 2 shelves): Home &  Kitchen

@loriqvc this was my situation as well.  We settled on the Spicy Shelf too.  I had hoped tp get the reorganization done by now but ended up needing to replace my jars.  The arrived last night.  I'll be concentrating on finishing the job tomorrow.  

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch, why did you have to replace your jars? Was it necessary in order to have them fit w/ that Spicey Shelf system? 

I have SO MANY spices & such limited space that nothing has ever been much help; turntables, tiered shelves, etc.

Anyway, I'm dying to know if this works for you!

Please keep us posted.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch, why did you have to replace your jars? Was it necessary in order to have them fit w/ that Spicey Shelf system? 

I have SO MANY spices & such limited space that nothing has ever been much help; turntables, tiered shelves, etc.

Please keep us posted.

Hi @sabatini. I do too.  My spice area is below a fixed shelf, which is not tall enough for the three tiers as shown on the box. To create two tiers evenly spaced, it was a minuscule fraction of an inch too short in height, to accommodate 4" tall spice bottles. Just my luck.  I found some that were 3.5" tall so everything will fit and be uniform. We ended up putting in two Spicey Shelves side by side so the entire bottom section of the cabinet will be devoted to spices and maybe my extracts in the open space in the center. But alas, I'm still not done with the job. I went to get my P-touch to make labels and all I had was clear tape.  I ordered white but it won't be here until tomorrow evening.  Talk about a long, drawn out production. 🙄. Once it's complete, ill try to remember yo take a picture.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch : D8BF6EEF-71F1-4ACB-AC8A-E9AA255AFC9D.jpegB17676DC-6E03-4988-AE70-690526BAE8C6.jpeg61A04D7C-E78D-44B3-80D7-6941CE47F42B.jpeg

Please forgive the blurry photos and shadows.

Honored Contributor

@sabatini :

@sabatini wrote:

Please keep us posted.

I also tried everything and very frustrating. I always knocked everything over on the turntables and tiered shelves and ready to give up. I opened the Spicy shelf box and freaked out. I sorted everything out and started watching YouTube videos. DH looked at everything and laughed but I was determined to make it work. Took several days. I decided it would work better with different spice bottles. That was extra trouble to clean, fill and label the bottles. Dear friend saw the finished project and wanted to try it. I told her that it wasn't the best and I had to do a lot to finally get it stable. I saved my extra pieces for her, purchased the Spicey shelf, and spice bottles  and gave everything for her birthday present. Her 15 year old granddaughter, installed the shelves, cleaned and filled spice bottles , labeled everything under two hours. My friend had three times more spices that what I had.

Respected Contributor

WOW, @JeanLouiseFinch & @SouthernBee! It definitely is a project! 

JLF, it'd also be my luck that I'd be a fraction too small. height-wise. I'd love to be able to fit side by side like you did, but in the narrow space that I can use, there's no way.

I do think I'm going to buy one, so thanks for this thread!

SB, I don't have near the motivation to go through all that work, but sure do admire you for having it, & for sharing with your friend.

Spices are such a challenge, aren't they? Long, loooong gone is the day I'd have a cute spice cabinet hanging on the wall. Ha!

As @drizzellla said: And now I just gave up. If you want a spice you can hunt for it. I admit defeat.

Smiley LOL   Me too!

But I'm gonna give it one last try.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

Re: Spice Organizing

[ Edited ]

@sabatini : Really was a job considering that I am very short and not supposed to be climbing on step stools. I was just so frustrated with the cabinet and spices and decided to try one last time for something better. Next project: I have a very narrow closet in the hallway that was turned into a pantry.