Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of our vintage kitchen items...

My Mom and Dad married 12/23/1960 and I still have their wedding silver and a Platter with a Turkey painted design on it for of course serving the holiday bird.   The silver I never use but I do use the platter every Thanksgiving. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@mustang66lady wrote:

I have fallen in love with "vintage" kitchens all over again.  My favorite things to look at on pinterest.  I have been collecting vintage pyrex, corning ware, and corelle for some time now.  I just love it all.  What work horses they are-just keep them out of the dishwasher unless indicated!  Just for the record, I am vintage also-I'm 60 plus!   And it has somewhat become a challenge to find "vintage" cookware at garage sales, auctions, estate sales, and resale shops, it makes it all the more fun!

I have been putting Corning ware and corelle in the dushwasher for 48 years now with no bad effect on them. Why wouldn't you put them in the dishwasher? They are glass.

@151949

Sorry I'm just now seeing this.  From what I have read, unless corning ware and corelle specifically states safe to use in the diswasher, or microwave, you should not use them in those places.  I know some of my corelle does have it stamped on the bottom of the plates "microwave safe" and other patterns do not.  I do put them in the dishwasher without problem as I had been doing that before reading I should not!  My DM never owned a dishwasher so our corningware and corelle was always hand washed.  I do know that pyrex (the painted colored ware) that gets put thru the dishwasher, will fade in color.  When you see pyrex that has lost color as in the photo below, it has been washed in the dishwasher.  I'm not sure what damage the dishwasher will do to corningware.  If you have done so without problem, then I would continue. 

Image result for photo of pyrex washed in dishwasher

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

I also have these coffee pots that belonged to my mom's sister, though my mom had the same set.  They hold the most wonderful memories for me and I will never part with them.  Every once in a while I perk coffee in them, but the results are hit and miss. I guess I'm not doing it correctly.  I can't seem to find the right time per cup ratio. If someone could enlighten me I'd be very grateful.coffee pots.jpg

When I perk coffee I put one heaping scoop of grounds for 3 cups of coffee - so I usually fill it to the 6 cup level and use 2 heaping scoops. The secret is to watch it perk in the glass thingy on the lid and when it smells done and the coffee is the right color - take it off the fire. I can only tell you , it is something you learn from experience.We like restaurant strength coffee so I don't let it get too dark.I do use a filter in the basket or you get grounds in the coffee.

@house_cat

I agree with @151949 about the ratio when percolating coffee.  I use a white with blue flowers corningware stove top percolator everyday to make my coffee.  It would be best to use a filter as most coffee is ground now for drip makers and is so fine it will end up in your coffee.   You can purchase a grinder and grind your own beans more coarsely so you don't have to use a filter is you want.  I use the same ratio as stated above, and once I hear or see the perk, I set my timer for about 10 minutes.  I then remove the coffee basket from the pot(this will be extremely hot) and turn the burner down to "warm" setting or I put the coffee in a carafe that I have had warming with hot water while the coffee brews, then empty before filling with the fresh coffee.  It stays hot most of the day that way.  Like @151949 said, you will get a "feel" for it and will be able to adapt it to your tastes. 

Respected Contributor

I have baking pans made by Mirro aluminum co. that I've had since the 1960's. Mirro went out of business. I love my pans and wouldn't trade them for anything! 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady  My corning ware comes from many years before they invented a microwave - but I use it in there all the time - almost every day - without incident. Again - corning ware & corelle - except for the cups which are ironstone - is all glass. 

I have some ceramic dishes from Lecruesset that specifically say on the bottom not to place in the dishwasher. However I use them in the microwave a lot.  

I put my TT in the dishwasher on the top rack and mine are at least 7 years old without any breakage. Go figure.

Honored Contributor

I still have Corning Ware with the blue flowers and also the French White and also Pyrex loaf pans and mixing bowls --all these from the late 60's.  All of these are packed away --just in case.  I have temptations, but kept the old ones in case the TT fail me.  I haven't bought any TT in the last 6 or 7 years and haven't had issues with the ones I have.  I have found the TT easier to clean than the Corning Ware, but the Corning Ware is sure a product that lasts and lasts.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@mustang66lady  My corning ware comes from many years before they invented a microwave - but I use it in there all the time - almost every day - without incident. Again - corning ware & corelle - except for the cups which are ironstone - is all glass. 

I have some ceramic dishes from Lecruesset that specifically say on the bottom not to place in the dishwasher. However I use them in the microwave a lot.  

I put my TT in the dishwasher on the top rack and mine are at least 7 years old without any breakage. Go figure.

@151949

I don't have a microwave any longer but was always tempted to use it with my corningware.  I don't remember where I read not to use it in a microwave unless it specifically stated.  Like you, pyrex/corning made test tubes used under open flame so don't understand why you can't put them in the microwave or dishwasher.  I know newer corningware is also stamped "microwave safe" so to save myself a headache I just never used mine in the microwave when I had one.  I'm glad yours have not given you a problem.  Apparently somewhere someone had problems and a warning was put out.  That's about true of anything though. 

Honored Contributor

I have this lovely set of glass Pyrex bowls that I got as a gift in the 70s.  They are clear glass with white flowers all around them.   Even though I don't really love white, they are quite lovely.

Respected Contributor

Probably everything in my kitchen could be considered vintage, because whenever I need something 'new', I shop at thrift shops.

I moved fairly recently, and as my son & DIL helped me to unpack the boxes of old mismatched, pots 'n pans, etc., they asked me "Why don't you toss these and just get a nice, new, matching set?'"

Why? Because it never occurred to me. LOL!

I'd rather buy a Revere Ware stockpot for $5.00 at Goodwill than shell out a fortune for something 'new' that's probably made in China and that I'll have to replace eventually - sooner than later!

Yay for vintage! To me, vintage just means = not just disposable junk.

Muddling through...
Frequent Contributor

LOL.....my late MIL gave me this exact piece a number of years ago.  She didn't need it anymore......and thought that I would appreciate it.......and I did and still do.  Love vintage items, as well.