Trusted Contributor

Re: Soy, almond, or coconut milk?

I'm trying to find an alternative to half & half in my coffee and tried Silk vanilla almond milk. I thought it was awful in coffee (it has a distinctive nut flavor) but I liked it on my morning granola.

I just purchased Silk vanilla coconut milk and it has a distinct coconut flavor, Ok in coffee if you like coconut-coffee flavor and great on granola. This would also be great in a Thai curry sauce or coconut rice.

I can't digest soy and must stay far, far away from anything with soy in it, so soy milk it out.

I'll have to revisit rice milk for my morning coffee. It's hard to find a duplicate for the thick creaminess of half & half but with the blandness of milk. I can't stand the non-dairy coffee creamers...taste awful and way too many flavorings, additives, and sugar.

Esteemed Contributor

I use Almond Vanilla

I loved the Coconut but found my tummy cannot handle the good fats in the coconut milk.I got tummy problems everytime I drank it.

Honored Contributor

I only drink real milk, can you please explain why almond or other milks. I understand if you are a vegan or have a lactose issue. I am not try to stir the pot here.

Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2014 Sweet Susie said:

I'm trying to find an alternative to half & half in my coffee and tried Silk vanilla almond milk. I thought it was awful in coffee (it has a distinctive nut flavor) but I liked it on my morning granola.

I just purchased Silk vanilla coconut milk and it has a distinct coconut flavor, Ok in coffee if you like coconut-coffee flavor and great on granola. This would also be great in a Thai curry sauce or coconut rice.

I can't digest soy and must stay far, far away from anything with soy in it, so soy milk it out.

I'll have to revisit rice milk for my morning coffee. It's hard to find a duplicate for the thick creaminess of half & half but with the blandness of milk. I can't stand the non-dairy coffee creamers...taste awful and way too many flavorings, additives, and sugar.

have you tried a fat free 1/2 and 1/2? they don't taste any different in coffee and the calorie content is less

Occasional Contributor

I've been vegetarian for 31 years, but I do consume dairy. However I've never liked the taste of cow's milk on cereal, and I don't drink any "milks". My go-to beverage on cereals is organic plain (no added sugar) soy milk because it has so much more protein than the other plant milks. I do cook with cow's milk, though.

Honored Contributor

Dr. told me to avoid all things soy...especially milk. I do like the sweetened almond milk but it has a lot of sugar...DH loves it on his oatmeal....I am lactose intolerant so it is either the almond milk or nothing here...DH likes 1/2&1/2 in coffee and doesn't plan on switching.

Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2014 Sweet Susie said:

Susie, you might want to read up on "Bulletproof Coffee." Do an internet search & you'll find the site. It may be an option for you.

I make my Bulletproof coffee by adding MCT oil & raw butter or ghee to the coffee & blending. It adds a nice rich taste and has lots of nutrients.

Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2014 jackthebear said:

I only drink real milk, can you please explain why almond or other milks. I understand if you are a vegan or have a lactose issue. I am not try to stir the pot here.

I can only speak for myself. I do not drink milk for many reasons. I never was much of a fan and it is high in sugar. I also have food sensitivities and avoid dairy because of that.

Contributor

I like them all, but they say only fermented soy is good for you and since I have a sluggish thyroid I use almond milk in my smoothies. I find almond milk is creamier then coconut milk. I do like vita coco coconut water but the potassium makes me sleepy so I drink it in the evening after a workout.
Esteemed Contributor

Soy is controversial, and coconut tastes bad...I go with almond milk.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org