Valued Contributor

Re: Soy, almond, or coconut milk?

I use coconut or almond milk

I used to drink soy until I read that unfermented soy found in soy milk contains phytates that inhibit the absorption of minerals. It can also prevent the thyroid from absorbing iodine.

Frequent Contributor

I drink rice milk. I have a bit of an intolerance to almond milk and regular dairy milk. However I think the almond tastes better than rice milk.
Trusted Contributor

Well, DH uses Almond milk because he is lactose intolerant. I don't care for it very much. Having had breast cancer, one of my nurses told me to avoid unfermented soy products, (milk, edamame, etc) as it contains plant estrogens. I have been using fermented, organic dairy milk, (kefir, yogurt, buttermilk) for probiotics, protein, and calcium.

Esteemed Contributor

I thought Soy milk was not good for MEN. I usually purchase Almond, but currently have a carton of combination Almond/Coconut.

Super Contributor

I only use almond milk - I use the sweetened - it's 60 calories. I tired the unsweetened but couldn't get used to it. Definitely don't do the soy. I've tried the coconut milk and it's really good.

There is a cake that I make with almond flour and coconut that uses milk and I will use the coconut or almond milk. Makes the cake very moist and nutty.

Frequent Contributor

Well, our fridge overflows with options on this topic! My family manages lactose intolerance issues among other dietary issues.

-- DH only will drink cow's milk

-- 5 year old DD detests any type of milk and drinks water instead (except a tiny amount of cow's milk on cereal)

-- 3 year old DD drinks Silk soy milk and has since she was weaned

-- I switched to the unsweetened Silk almond milk about 1+ years ago from Silk soy.

Generally, I use cow's milk for any cooking as we don't make dishes with large milk/cream content. Our individual types of milk are for drinking, cereal, oatmeal, smoothies, etc.

Boy, do I wish my family would have one type of milk residing on the door compartment of the fridge like a "normal" family does!

Valued Contributor

About 20 years ago I started eating lower on the food chain and cutting things out of my diet, including most meats, except for fish. About this time I also realized that regular dairy milk would sometimes upset my stomach or give me bathroom "issues". So I started using rice milk. Then I used soy. And then in recent years I've switched to almond. 20 years ago some of these options were not available. But now there are so many non-dairy options. I LOVE the new Light Almond Breeze (in vanilla/unsweetened). I also really like one that's a combo of coconut milk and almond milk (I think this is Almond Breeze, too, but I could be wrong). I LOVE it in my cereal in the morning, or on oatmeal, and sometimes in my baking.

Esteemed Contributor

We use both Almond and Coconut milk. Both are great on cereals and in baking etc.

Regular Contributor

This will sound crazy but does the almond milk taste like almonds and the coconut milk like coconut? I like both of those flavors but have never tried either of them. I have not had a glass of milk in 50 years lol. I hate it. I only wet my cereal with it a little. It would be nice to try something new but I hate to spend the $$ on something and then toss it if I don't like it. Do these milks only come in the half gallon size? TIA for your help.

Respected Contributor

On 1/13/2014 SUZYQUE said:

This will sound crazy but does the almond milk taste like almonds and the coconut milk like coconut? I like both of those flavors but have never tried either of them. I have not had a glass of milk in 50 years lol. I hate it. I only wet my cereal with it a little. It would be nice to try something new but I hate to spend the $$ on something and then toss it if I don't like it. Do these milks only come in the half gallon size? TIA for your help.

Almond milk doesn't taste like almonds to me. I have never tried coconut milk.