Respected Contributor

I got two pints of blueberries at Trader Joe's.  They came from California and were large and looked tempting.  Well, they turned out to be the most sour blueberries I have had in my life.  So I decided to cook them and put in 2 heaping tablespoons full of sugar.  Was worried they might turn out to be too sweet.  Not so.  Still too sour.  So I had absolutely no choice other than to buy vanilla icecream and spoon the berries over that.  Liked it!

Honored Contributor

The last ones I bought at Walmart were from Canada and they were excellent.  Don't think I ever bought produce from Canada before.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

LOL  Your post made me laugh @CLEM.  That sounds like something I'd do -- take something nice and healthy like blueberries, and then add sugar and ice cream!  Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

I aim to lose weight, so I thought the blueberries might help.  The rest doesn't count.

Respected Contributor

You know you can return them to Trader Joe's??  I've gotten blueberries there many times and usually they are good but it sounds like that was a bad batch.  They don't always come from the same source.

Trusted Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

I got two pints of blueberries at Trader Joe's.  They came from California and were large and looked tempting.  Well, they turned out to be the most sour blueberries I have had in my life.  So I decided to cook them and put in 2 heaping tablespoons full of sugar.  Was worried they might turn out to be too sweet.  Not so.  Still too sour.  So I had absolutely no choice other than to buy vanilla icecream and spoon the berries over that.  Liked it!

OH - THE PAIN!!!  Lol!

Regular Contributor

The best blueberries come from New Jersey.  I got some really good ones earlier this year.  I think their season is over though.

If anyone buys frozen blueberries and is near a Wegmans, theirs are usually very good!  I recently got some marked "grown in Mexico" that, believe it or not, were HUGE and SWEET.

Respected Contributor

Canada has excellent blueberries. They grow wild and going blueberry picking is a popular activity on the east coast. 

Respected Contributor

Best berries I EVER had (and believe me this is sacrilege as I live near S. Jersey) were from Texas. The size of nickels and delicious beyond belief. 

I don't mind them sour. I love sour. But if they are bitter, no good. 

Honored Contributor

Even if you typically sweeten with white sugar, you might find that Truvia, a healthy non-artificial sweetener, or plain Erythrotol might help your berries be more palatable and lower in calories.

I have dark berries most days as my dessert. Never tire of them!