Trusted Contributor

Hello, kitchen board ladies!  Lately, I've been making a simple soup in my Vitamix and it's pretty good.  I've used vegetable or chicken broth, a carrot, a stalk of celery, 2 campari tomatoes, a clove of garlic, some taco seasoning, some dried parsley, some dried minced toasted onion and tortillas at the end.  Sometimes I will boil a small potato and add that at the end for some texture.

So, my question is this...I would like to omit the taco seasoning and make it like more of a chicken broth based soup.  What other seasonings would you add to make up for the lack of flavor from taco seasoning?  It's does pack quite a punch.  Thanks for any suggestions!   

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Trusted Contributor

Poultry seasoning or bouillion?

Valued Contributor

Salsa verde is an ingredient in the best homemade chicken soup I've tried in ages. 

Trusted Contributor

@Ifeelwicked Funny you should mention that.  I just found an easy chickekn enchilada recipe that uses salsa verde.  Is it spicy?

Trusted Contributor

@Lacey1 That's a good idea.  I have some poultry seasoning from Penzeys.  I'm trying to be mindful of the salt conent.  Taco seasoning has a good amount of salt in it and I was trying to cut that down.

Super Contributor

I use chile powder, cumin and  Ortega diced green chiles in my Pozole (a wonderful Mexican soup).  Any of those things might work.  Also, when ready serve, squeeze fresh lemon or lime into the soup.  That is a perfect addition.

Valued Contributor

Hi, again!  Ok, here's the deal on the salsa verde. For your Vitamix soup, start slowly, you can adjust accordingly. I had no idea how delicious it could make soup! And it doesn't have to be spicy. Even a little adds a nice flavor. PLEASE do yourself a favor and Google "Julie Bowen's Chicken Soup."  (Yes, I am talking about Claire from Modern Family!)  She did an article for the food section of the LA Times about having 3 little ones and making this 5 ingredient soup, that takes NO time at all, but when her husband comes home he thinks she's been slaving over a hot stove all day! 😊  It is SO easy and delicious that I have been making it for several years now and EVERYONE wants the recipe!  (Rotisserie chicken, chicken broth, cannolini beans, cumin, & salsa verde. Top with your favorite shredded cheese and serve with a crusty baguette!) See what I mean?!