Frequent Contributor

Re: Sorry, St. Patrick.. no corned beef this year!

I guess that would be why we enjoy this tradition in America

Honored Contributor

I've never had corned beef and cabbage. What's so bad about it??

Super Contributor

I don't like the smell--it's really strong, so I never make it. Once in a while I'll get a corned beef sandwich from the local deli, which makes the most heavenly sandwiches. Otherwise, no.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/16/2015 Hooty said:

I'm being lazy and fixing rueben sandwiches and coleslaw!

Great idea ! In fact one year maybe 15 yrs ago we did just that as most of our family wasnt able to get together, and it was really good .
Respected Contributor

Last week at Trader Joe's they were sampling a corned beef and melted swiss cheese sandwich on sour dough bread. I loved it and bought all of the ingredients! I have never cooked corned beef although my Mom used to every year. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Honored Contributor

On 3/16/2015 ValuSkr said:

I've never had corned beef and cabbage. What's so bad about it??

Nothing is bad about it, IMO, it does take awhile for corned beef to cook, cabbage doesn't smell that good cooking, but if cooked right, it is delicious, if it is overcooked, it tastes awful!

Super Contributor

Love corned beef, the cabbage not so much.

OP, I LOL when I read that it took you thirty years to realize that you and your DH don't like corned beef and cabbage. Smiley Happy

Contributor

Corned beef and cabbage is my favorite meal of the year, and my family loves it as well. I cook it in the pressure cooker with the pickling spices in a tea infuser ball until the beef is done. Then I transfer all the cooking liquids to a large pot and cook the veggies (carrots, red potatoes, quartered onions, rutabagas, and cabbage) on the stovetop until they are cooked "al dente." I serve it with Irish Soda Bread and a bit of horseradish. Yum! But boy, the price of corned beef is really high this year. In the past I bought four or five on sale to have in the freezer, but I'm afraid this will be a one-time deal for this year. Erin Go Bragh!

Respected Contributor

On 3/16/2015 FastDogWalker2 said:

Last week at Trader Joe's they were sampling a corned beef and melted swiss cheese sandwich on sour dough bread. I loved it and bought all of the ingredients! I have never cooked corned beef although my Mom used to every year. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Now that sounds wonderful. I may have to go buy some swiss, I'm making sourdough for tomorrow anyway.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

On 3/16/2015 MS_GTYUP said:

Corned beef and cabbage is my favorite meal of the year, and my family loves it as well. I cook it in the pressure cooker with the pickling spices in a tea infuser ball until the beef is done. Then I transfer all the cooking liquids to a large pot and cook the veggies (carrots, red potatoes, quartered onions, rutabagas, and cabbage) on the stovetop until they are cooked "al dente." I serve it with Irish Soda Bread and a bit of horseradish. Yum! But boy, the price of corned beef is really high this year. In the past I bought four or five on sale to have in the freezer, but I'm afraid this will be a one-time deal for this year. Erin Go Bragh!

Smiths here had point cuts on sale for$2.99. Even tho I already bought the expensive ones I grabbed a couple more.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*