Valued Contributor

Something I have never understood...

If it's the same exact identical show, why is America's Test Kitchen and Cooks Country given two different names? Same people, same concept, what am I not getting?

Honored Contributor

Re: Something I have never understood...

When Christopher Kimball left America's Test Kitchen the name of the show changed to Cooks Country.

His show is called Milk Street.

Valued Contributor

Oh okay, now I remember him the tall skinny man, thanks drizzella.

Honored Contributor

The bow tie makes you remember him.

Christopher Kimball, 2016.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@gulf coast girl - Each show has a slightly different focus. America's Test Kitchen explores global cuisine, attempting to introduce it to home cooks and find ways to stay true to the essence of each recipe while making it accessible enough for everyday cooking/baking. Sometimes, this means they're making things we know and love in the USA as well, especially when they have "theme" episodes. Cook's Country features American cuisine, replicating and improving on popular favorites from across the nation as well as individual regions, sharing the origins of recipes that have been around for years and the ways they shaped or were a result of events in our history.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

When Christopher Kimball left America's Test Kitchen the name of the show changed to Cooks Country.

@drizzellla sorry, no disrespect but this is incorrect. Both shows existed when Chris Kimball was around.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Wrong. Christopher used to host Cook's Country as well as America's Test Kitchen. I still have older episodes of Cook's Country that I recorded with Chistopher as the host. 

He left the show over a salary dispute and started his own show called Milk Street. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LizzieInSRQ  is correct. They both were around when Kimball was on. I've been watching for years. My understanding is that he and Jack Bishop started the whole concept. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deeva wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

Wrong. Christopher used to host Cook's Country as well as America's Test Kitchen. I still have older episodes of Cook's Country that I recorded with Chistopher as the host. 

He left the show over a salary dispute and started his own show called Milk Street. 

@deeva wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

While it well could be due to a salary dispute, or both, I thought he left the show because he wanted to take one of the shows in a different direction but others involved with the shows didn't want to go that route so he left.  Milk Street is a really different show in comparison with a lot more exotic and foreign foods.  It also seems to have a travelogue of those foreign countries incorporated into the show.

Personally, I don't like the cooking shows that go to vineyards, markets, dinner at people's homes, restaurants, etc.  It's a cooking show!  I prefer that the whole show be involved in actual cooking, techniques, new ideasproducts, etc.  Cooks Country and America's Test Kitchen have, so far, stuck with that and I really enjoy watching those and shows like that.  Wish Food Network would go back to the early days.

Honored Contributor

In Milk Street, Chris seems to have discovered that the cuisine of the rest of the world is pretty interesting.  It features a lot of things some of us have been acquainted with and using a long time.

He acts like he discovered this or something.  He didn't eat anything spicy before.  I also think there was some personality conflict, maybe a girlfriend at some point--not sure when.  

He comes across to me as a very self centered and prickly  guy to deal with.  Although I think he is trying to lighten up some on the new venture.

The chicken spice they well is wonderful!