Valued Contributor

Re: Someone tell the difference between BAKE and ROAST?

Is it a convection oven?  It's possible the two options really mean with or without  convection. 

Honored Contributor

I think her question is what does the oven do differently.  What does the oven do differently when you choose either the Roast or Bake option?

Valued Contributor

I'm there with you.  Confused.  I have owned my Wolf Oven/Range for about 4 years and I have not unlocked its (costly) magical secrets.   I think I will need to go to "oven" class.  

The Run-of-the-Mill: Bake, Broil and Roast

If you have the fancy convection modes, why ever use the standard Bake, Broil and Roast? No, these aren’t just vestigial modes leftover from an earlier form of oven, they have their own design and purpose.

Bake: The standard bake mode relies on the bottom-heating element for most of the heat, with only a small amount from the top heating element to brown tops.

• Best mode when cooking: Delicate desserts—custards, flans, soufflés; as well as starchy vegetables like potatoes and squash
  • Cooking tips from Wolf chefs: The lower half of the oven is the best place for baked goods.

RoastWith the roast mode, both Bake and Broil elements are used equally.

• Best mode when cooking: slow-roasting and braising; less-tender cuts of meat like pot roasts and lamb shanks; smaller roasts like game hens
  • Cooking tips from Wolf chefs: The higher an uncovered item is placed in the oven, the more it will brown. For uncovered, small roasts, rack positions 4-6 are recommended
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela