Trusted Contributor

Re: Sold my Kitchen Aid stand mixer!

Haha! I wish I'd been your neighbor. I just bought my first stand mixer (KitchenAid mini-adorable) and I'm having lots of fun, making things that I've avoided for decades. I have limited counterspace, but it sits out anyway. Helps that it's a mini. I baked a bundt cake the other day--probably the first cake I've baked in 25 years. Delish. The mini is just right for a half recipe, and I used KingArthur Measure for Measure flour. 

But good for you, trading the space for something you will enjoy as much as I'm enjoying my new toy!

Respected Contributor

I love my KA hand held mixer, have the big one & keep asking DD to take it. Too heavy for me & I don't bake that much. She is just learning how to use the slow cooker so figure in 6 months she may get more into baking. The big one has to be about 20yrs old. They last forever. I want her to have it. 

Honored Contributor

I gave mine to my daughter when she moved out on her own.

It was too big to sit on the counter and was too heavy for me to drag out off the shelf when I wanted to use it.

When they came out with the mini, I bought that and I use it way more than the big one because it has a smaller footprint and weighs a lot less.

Honored Contributor

This is why I haven’t purchased a Kitchen Aid stand mixer; I know it would not be used often enough to substantiate paying the price.   

Honored Contributor

I love my KA mixer.  I will have had it 20 years this month.  I wish I would have had it 20+ years before that as that is when I baked more for bake sales, family at home, etc.  I still use it a lot and have never had any problems with it.  After seeing it done on QVC, I also mix my meatloaf/meatballs in it.  I enjoy watching the presentations on QVC and I am amazed by all the beautiful colors.  (Mine is white, but that goes with my kitchen and I don't think they had a lot of colors available 20 years ago.)

Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl wrote:

Good for you! 

Subject came up when I was thinking of buying a Vitamix.  I've moved and walking every day for exercise to get healthier/lose weight.  My sister said it's a lot of money for something that may just sit on the counter and collect dust and then she added - "like my stand mixer and a bread machine".  

@Financialgrl wrote:

Good for you! 

Subject came up when I was thinking of buying a Vitamix.  I've moved and walking every day for exercise to get healthier/lose weight.  My sister said it's a lot of money for something that may just sit on the counter and collect dust and then she added - "like my stand mixer and a bread machine".  

Like I posted I use my KA stand mixer a lot even though I live alone.  I bought a new bread machine 2 years ago and have never bought grocery store bread since.  I have a Vitamix---collecting dust.  Mine never seems to work like they do in the QVC demos.   Proves we are all different and have different likes and needs.

Esteemed Contributor

Just as a follow up.  I sold my KA because I needed room for my new Cook’s  Essentials Air fryer.  I have used the Air Fryer three times now and I just hate it.  The food is so nasty tasting.  

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@BeccaLou wrote:

I have a big question? Would a tilt head Kitchen-Aid stand mixer work under the cabinet? I always wondered. People have told me they are a hassle to use, either the bowl won't attach, or some crazy reason.

Yes it does.  I usually pull mine out a bit when I'm using it, but there is room to lift the head if I wanted to leave it in place.

I much prefer the tilt head to the lift bowl.

@faeriemoon wrote:

@BeccaLou wrote:

I have a big question? Would a tilt head Kitchen-Aid stand mixer work under the cabinet? I always wondered. People have told me they are a hassle to use, either the bowl won't attach, or some crazy reason.

Yes it does.  I usually pull mine out a bit when I'm using it, but there is room to lift the head if I wanted to leave it in place.

@faeriemoon wrote:

@BeccaLou wrote:

I also have the tilt head and it fits  under a cabinet.  I just slide it out maybe 4 inches or so and it works fine and is easy to reach, etc.  I would never use it if I kept it in a cabinet--they are quite heavy.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

Just as a follow up.  I sold my KA because I needed room for my new Cook’s  Essentials Air fryer.  I have used the Air Fryer three times now and I just hate it.  The food is so nasty tasting.  

What have you made in your air fryer?  I have the Power XL from QVC and I love it.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

You can always sell it!  Woman LOL