Honored Contributor

Re: So sad - went to buy some corn this AM & our favorite stand has closed for the season.

Yesterday I bought all the makings for a tossed salad from a farm market and it was the best salad ever. So nice to be in Pa and be able to get great tomatoes. I think we enjoyed that salad more than the steaks we made to go with it. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: So sad - went to buy some corn this AM & our favorite stand has closed for the season.

Around here in central PA, the Susquehanna River is only about a foot deep. We need rain, lots of rain. The drought is getting bad. It's affecting the late summer crops as well as the turning leaves. 

We decided against a veggie garden this year and, in hindsight, we're really glad we did. Since we use a well for water, we would have never been able to keep up watering a garden. As it was, we were afraid to keep adding water to the pool this summer. And now, one of our townships has requested water restrictions. So far, it's not been mandatory, but if we don't soon get some rain, it will become mandatory. 

So around here, freshly-grown vegetables are getting expensive. And some of the farmers didn't even grow corn this year. I didn't buy peaches. I don't know if we're going to buy any apples, but we'll see how it goes.

Esteemed Contributor

We are seeing the last of our peppers and tomatoes from the garden here in Ohio......Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@PamelaSue72 wrote:

Around here in central PA, the Susquehanna River is only about a foot deep. We need rain, lots of rain. The drought is getting bad. It's affecting the late summer crops as well as the turning leaves. 

We decided against a veggie garden this year and, in hindsight, we're really glad we did. Since we use a well for water, we would have never been able to keep up watering a garden. As it was, we were afraid to keep adding water to the pool this summer. And now, one of our townships has requested water restrictions. So far, it's not been mandatory, but if we don't soon get some rain, it will become mandatory. 

So around here, freshly-grown vegetables are getting expensive. And some of the farmers didn't even grow corn this year. I didn't buy peaches. I don't know if we're going to buy any apples, but we'll see how it goes.

There are several tropical storms out there trying to bring the SE USA all the rain they can handle. Here in SW Pa we are supposed to have 70% chance of rain today & tomorrow.

Esteemed Contributor

Made my daily stop at my local farm stand yesterday. Not nearly as much corn this year because of the draught in NJ.