Super Contributor

Snowed in with Daughter, Dog and Four Apples-what can I make

Well my DH just left a few hours ago to catch his flight to Dallas and we already have a ton of snow here in Mi. and now more coming down by the bucketloads.

So, sitting here feeling cozy with the fireplace going and rest of my family here and was wanting to make something that would be extra good. Only fresh fruit I have is 4 large apples. Now I have all of the pantry and fridge items, ie brown sugar, butter, flour etc., but I am no expert baker and any attempt to make a pie crust would be futile. I know someone here must have some idea of what I could make for us.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!1

VickiSmile

Honored Contributor

Re: Snowed in with Daughter, Dog and Four Apples-what can I make

baked apples

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Regular Contributor

If they happen to be Granny Smiths, make apple sauce. Warm homemade apple sauce lightly sweetened and flavored with cinnamon is a great comfort food. I guess you can use other apples, too.

Respected Contributor

My mother used to make applies by coring them, peeling and boiling them with those little red "imp" thingies. When they were just beginning to get soft, she stuffed the cores with a mixture of cream cheese, chopped pecans and something else I don't recall. You could make your own choice. Anyway, they were one of my favorite things as a child. Now I can't remember exactly what she put into the filling.

Lesson to us all: Ask your parents lots of questions about family, favorite foods, etc. Once they're gone,so is the information!

Respected Contributor

Easy 1 Bowl Apple Cake

2 cups diced apples

1 cup sugar

1/4 c oil

1 egg

1 t baking powder

1 t cinnamon

1/4 t salt

1 t vanilla

1 c flour

1/2 c chopped nuts

In a bowl put the apples, sugar and stir, then add the oil, egg, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, flour and nuts. Stir, batter will be stiff. Pour into a greased and floured 8 or 9 inch pan. Bake at 350* for 45 minutes. Take out of the oven and let cool.

* I used 2 Gala apples, what I had in the house and I didn't have any nuts. I left the peeling on the apples. Cake turned out great!!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Super Contributor

Super Contributor

By the way, I forgot to mention…. I'm very envious of you stuck there in a snowstorm with your daughter. It sounds wonderful! Have fun. Smile

Contributor

Not sure I understand

You want a recipe that will include four apples ....your dog... and your daughter???

Did you check online for The Jeffery Daumier Cookbook?

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/9/2014 house cat said:

By the way, I forgot to mention…. I'm very envious of you stuck there in a snowstorm with your daughter. It sounds wonderful! Have fun. Smile

{#emotions_dlg.scared} This winter has been miserable, even by Michigan standards.

Vicki, how about apple cobbler or an apple crisp? Foolproof! Really can't mess it up and any apples will do. Even more yummy if you have vanilla ice cream.

Bright sunshine up here!