Honored Contributor

This was kind of big news a few years ago when the whole switch happened, and I haven't knowingly bought another Smithfield product since then. 

The problem I found was that they sell under other labels. I was talking to the meat cutter at Sam's Club about their brand of ham a few years ago, and he told me they were Smithfield, just labeled for Sam's own brand. I stopped buying those as well. 

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@Tinkerbell3

@phoenixbrd

@January121

@Mindy D 

@PINKdogWOOD 

Anyone who thinks that Smithfield is exporting some of the plentiful U.S. pork supply to China and then IMPORTING it back again is believing in some incredible  fake news

.  (Not to mention giving credence to a premise that isn't based on common economic sense--we have pork processing facilities right here on U.S. soil, so why pay to import that food?)

.  A Chinese company bought Smithfield because China needs  our pork to meet pork demand in its own country, and Smithfield needed some financial support at that time.

Smithfield and its Chinese owners EXPORT the  pork--to China!

We don't need to import pork products. The U.S. raises and processes enough hogs to stock the shelves in your local grocery store--with many different brands, by the way.

Get the facts straight here:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/smithfield-foods-slaughterhouse-china-brings-081913092.html

For me, it doesn't have to be imported from China. It's a Chinese company that is involved in my possible food supply. No thank you. Don't like it , don't trust it, not going to do it.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma   Love you.  I love and respect all sentient beings.  I'm heartbroken over the treatment of our prescious animals.

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Animal Cruelty!!!   Smiley Sad

Why do people still eat so much pork??? You must have seen the horrible treatment   they receive!

Pigs are very,very smart and loving animals and are soooo cruely treated!!!  How can you live with that knowlege and continue to eat it?

Please stop eating all pork products!!

"Pray for Pigs"  

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom   Truth.  @MalteseMomma @cbrite  Wish documentaries were shown in high school so our young people understand/witness the violence taking place. Speciesism....all precious farm factory animals are suffering in every country.

Smithfield is a "meat" industry... meat = eating animals....this thread is totally topic appropriate.

@cbrite  It is a challenge to watch the documentaries.  There is an amazing You Tuber...Bite Size Vegan who includes videos who are made specifically for children explaining why you would not want to eat meat and does not include filming of the violence.  You mentioned that it was difficult to watch videos, so I thought you might find these informative, yet less traumatic than the documentaries. I highly recommend Bite Size Vegan for parents faced with explaining the merciless violence to their young children. 

@sidsmom wrote:

@cbrite 

Even thoughSmithfieldd is the company of this thread,

if humans are using animals for food,

ALL animals, everywhere, are treated inhumanely.

All that animal death for brief human pleasure.

Respected Contributor

This discussion started off simply enough.........to correct the posted misinformation that the U.S. is importing its own home-grown and processed pork from China.  The pork is going TO China, not from that country.

That is a fact.  Period.  And that is where this discussion probably should have ended.

If people don't want to eat pork or hold a grudge against the Smithfield company, that's fine.  That's probably material for a different thread or a different website.

Here's another fact for the disgruntled amongst us.....QVC sells Smithfield pork products.  So why are you participating in this website?

Honored Contributor

From what we've read in the news over the years, Smithfield was gross long before the Chinese had anything to do with it.  In fact, they may have cleaned it up.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

@SharkEThat was me that got the SUV with no CD player....LOL

You can subscribe to Sirius and get a variety of music....but I would have to stream a playlist from my phone to play an album by my favorite artist.

Man. I was way off base. LOL

I was afraid that's all they were making nowdays. I just want a CD player

no bluetooth, what is bluetooth? LOL  Somehow I manged to  live this long without streaming . LOL

Valued Contributor
We have a huge Smithfield plant in our county along with turkey and chicken plants.We live in a very poor county and when all textile manufacturing went overseas...all jobs left.Replaced with these types of jobs.
Honored Contributor

Smiley Sad

@red&curly wrote:
We have a huge Smithfield plant in our county along with turkey and chicken plants.We live in a very poor county and when all textile manufacturing went overseas...all jobs left.Replaced with these types of jobs.

Respected Contributor

@red&curly 

@phoenixbrd

Maybe we shouldn't complain about the shift from textile factories to food-processing plants......just do a little research on cotton dust and what it did to workers' health, right along with black lung disease for coal miners.

Also, if you're interested, read about historic methane explosions and worker deaths in coal mines.

I used to make a living writing about these issues for other people, and I can't count the number of times I included in a speech draft that "workers must be prepared to train and retrain  for many different job and career transitions in their lives."

That was the prevailing mantra of the 1970s, and it still applies now.

Changes were in progress back then that affected just about everyone, but especially folks who (wrongly) assumed they would enter the factory jobs that their parents had held and make lifelong careers of them.