Valued Contributor

Re: Smithfield is a Chinese company- pleas choose your Easter ham wisely

Hasn't everyone heard whats going on with Lumber Liquidators? Flooring filled with toxic chemicals which are airborn. Their flooring is made in China.Tons of lawsuits and the company may go out of business trying to fix their problems and deal with the law suits from installers and homeowners. It will be the same with Smithfield.

Anyone who believes the Chinese are following US standards are deluding themselves. They do what they want and pretend they are following our standards...they don't!

Lumber Liquidators had the nerve to say they shouldn't be responsible for what happened because the Chinese manufacturers were not following their standards and rules!

Good luck trusting Chinese companies to follow US Standards!...not going to happen.

I wouldn't touch those hams if I were starving. Can you imagine eating meat processed in China?? Does everyone forget about the baby food, formula and cat/dog food??

Trusted Contributor

On 3/23/2015 Ceci said:

Hasn't everyone heard whats going on with Lumber Liquidators? Flooring filled with toxic chemicals which are airborn. Their flooring is made in China.Tons of lawsuits and the company may go out of business trying to fix their problems and deal with the law suits from installers and homeowners. It will be the same with Smithfield.

Anyone who believes the Chinese are following US standards are deluding themselves. They do what they want and pretend they are following our standards...they don't!

Lumber Liquidators had the nerve to say they shouldn't be responsible for what happened because the Chinese manufacturers were not following their standards and rules!

Good luck trusting Chinese companies to follow US Standards!...not going to happen.

I wouldn't touch those hams if I were starving. Can you imagine eating meat processed in China?? Does everyone forget about the baby food, formula and cat/dog food??

The LL flooring is being made in Chinese factories in China and imported to the U.S. (just like many, many products sold on QVC and in many US stores, BTW). Smithfield will retain US farms and factories -- and those will have to meet US standards. Any Smithfield facilities operated in China producing product for Chinese consumption may be a different story......but their facilities operating in the US will have to comply.

Respected Contributor

Smithfield hams are far too expensive for us. We can get locally sourced meats for far cheaper at our local butcher's or even the local processing plant where Georgia meat, mainly pork, are farmed regionally and slaughtered and smoked.

Respected Contributor

I will also say that China has reduced how much of our pork they import because of a virus in the US, which has also caused the rise of prices. By local and locals work!

Regular Contributor

What with all the uproar about China and it's practices of food processing (which I agree with so many of you) our own government puts money first before it's people as well. Though we have the FDA a lot of things get swept under the table. As I mentioned in my post, if you want some hard facts check out FOOD INC. documentary that was on PBS. Our own government doesn't want you all to really know what is happening out there. And with so many of you who don't want to support buying from China, what about all the things sold on QVC and else where that we buy each and every day, it's mind blowing to realize. It's like isn't anything made in America anymore? We could have so many jobs for our own people if we started getting serious about these issues. But our own businesses here sell out to jobs overseas. Bottom line it isn't China's fault totally it's ours for not taking care of our own right here.

Super Contributor

On 3/23/2015 poshmini said:

I don't buy Smithfield products, even though we live not far from Smithfield. I usually buy organic products from farm markets. You know how these foods are processed. It seems to me such extremes to send the hams etc. to China then back again to the U.S. I'd be afraid of contamination from the journey and all. I don't buy chicken from big chain ware houses either, their chicken looks way to large for a "normal" chicken should be. They are full of hormones and chemicals. If you want an eye opener watch the documentary called FOOD INC. they explain where your food comes from and how the government controls so much and the farmers. And how inhuman they treat these animals before slaughter. It's really disturbing but makes you more aware of what is really going on here. So many don't trust China and their practices but we've got skeletons in our own closets here in the U.S. as well. Although the U.S. standards are better in a lot of ways than China we still have a lot of clean up to do right here on our land. Buy local and organic and read the labels for how the meat is processed and where, boycott what you feel is not up to good standards for you and your family.

Yep you can read if you are wanting good information from years ago The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. Granddad used to work for Swifts and oh the stories he would tell.. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Valued Contributor

Yuk I would not eat ham anyway but.....buyer beware of all our food! Smithfield's made me sick...they got a ton of money for the company.

Frequent Contributor

today Sharon wouldn't touch that Smithfield ham with a 10 foot pole.

Frequent Contributor

If at all possible buy your meat only from a butcher. You will never regret going out of your way to get quality meats. They usually always deal with local farmers they know. Just say NO to China.
Valued Contributor

I get stuff at Petco for my dog as they don't have things from China.....its all about money.

Wow Nixon made a mistake going there years ago