Respected Contributor

Re: Smithfield is a Chinese company- pleas choose your Easter ham wisely

On 3/22/2015 millieshops said:

Whether it's made in China or made in America or made anywhere at all - when the people in charge don't give a fig about anything but the money, there's no guarantee our food is safe. Same with drugs.

Overall, I do believe our food is safer, but I also know that we seen some doozies of problems from American producers.

Further, I always wonder when these discussions come about why the Chinese themselves continue to survive. Why don't their own bad production standards kill them off? How bad are things really?

PS- I'm not planning to buy anyone's Easter ham - just wondering.

LOL, now don't go thinking logical. Also if everyone quit buying stuff made in China, it would put millions of Americans out of work. The Chinese don't take the orders or come here and work in the shipping warehouses.

I buy what I want, if it's made in the USA good deal, but I'm not losing sleep if it's not.

My reusable grocery bags are now made in china. They do make a point to say they're ethically made.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Contributor

On 3/22/2015 terrier3 said:
On 3/22/2015 happygal said:

Does this mean the meat comes from China, or the company that processes the meat here in the US is owned by a Chinese company?

I'm not about to trust them either way.

They could easily lower standards at plants here in the USA too.

Thats how I feel, how many times have recalls been for products manufactured in China that have caused health hazards .....

Trusted Contributor

I only buy food from my small local farmers market, I know the owners, they tell me the farms the source from and all is well. Big chain producers don't care about our health, only their pocketbooks.

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Valued Contributor

On 3/23/2015 debc said:

Whether it's made in China or made in America or made anywhere at all - when the people in charge don't give a fig about anything but the money, there's no guarantee our food is safe. Same with drugs.

Overall, I do believe our food is safer, but I also know that we seen some doozies of problems from American producers.

Further, I always wonder when these discussions come about why the Chinese themselves continue to survive. Why don't their own bad production standards kill them off? How bad are things really?

LOL, now don't go thinking logical. Also if everyone quit buying stuff made in China, it would put millions of Americans out of work. The Chinese don't take the orders or come here and work in the shipping warehouses.

I buy what I want, if it's made in the USA good deal, but I'm not losing sleep if it's not.

My reusable grocery bags are now made in china. They do make a point to say they're ethically made.

Good posts & I agree!

Honored Contributor

On 3/23/2015 gkelly5744 said:
On 3/23/2015 debc said:

Good posts & I agree!

I agree as well.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 3/22/2015 Wadzlla said:

The laws are worded so the meat (this also includes cooked chicken) is raised in the US, and sent to China for processing. then, when it comes back to the USA, it DOES NOT legally have to state it has been PROCESSED in China. It will say "made in America".

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/07/business/usda-to-allow-chicken-from-chinese-companies.html

DOUBLE YUCK!!!!

Thanks for the info.

Trusted Contributor

There is NO WAY pork is being raised in the U.S., sent to China for processing, and then sent back to the U.S for sale and consumption. That would make no practical or financial sense whatsoever. And meat raised and processed in the U.S. has to meet USDA standards.

I hate to see foreign companies taking over U.S. businesses -- but if we want that to stop, we need to develop a business environment and less punitive tax structures here that encourage the growth and development of business HERE!! The Chinese and others are going to eat our economic lunch if we don't get smarter and if we continue to think it's a great idea to punish businesses for being profitable and successful here at home.

Trusted Contributor

Check out the Smithfield website. They are currently hiring for a number of processing related positions at locations in Kansas & Virginia. They also have a Hungry Homes program that in total has donated 25 million servings of protein to food banks, low-income day care centers and disaster relief agencies in the US.

According to their web site, " Smithfield is the first in its industry to achieve International Organization for Standardizations (ISO) 14001 environmental certification for all of its U.S. production and processing facilities (with the exception of newly acquired facilities). What this means to the customer is the guarantee of the highest environmental standards in the Smithfield production process." They also meet all USDA standards.

While it is true the company is now owned by a Chinese company, that does not mean their products are not safe and healthy, or that they are not processed here. I have never purchased their products from QVC but have purchased them at my local grocery store and will continue to do so when it makes sense for me.

Respected Contributor

LOL, well you do have to love this part:

According to the Congressional Research Service, China has wanted its chicken to be accepted as a quid pro quo for lifting a ban it imposed on United States beef products in 2003 after a cow in Washington state was found to have mad cow disease.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

....as if American food processing plants have high standards today....ha ha ha. This is like 12th time this subject has come up. The hogs are grown and butchered here and processed in China.