Respected Contributor

Re: Smithfield Farms Closing

As if those plant workers could not have been better protected.  Talk about being sent in for slaughter.  Sheer resistance to a known issue.

Honored Contributor

Smithfiled in SD is not the only plant closing. There are also plants in Colorado, Iowa, Nebraska & Pennsylvania closed. These are suppose to be temporary but they could re-open only to have to close again. You never know.

Pork producers are saying this could lead to long term problems.

You better buy what you can to stock your freezer. It will all be gone just like the TP.

We could have beef, pork, poultry, fish shortages.

I already stocked our freezer I could see this coming. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know if they are still in stock here, but those pork ribeyes that are sold here by Rastelli are really good.   They come individually vacuum sealed and frozen, so it's easy to just toss them in and forget about them until time to thaw one out.  Smiley Happy

This is one of my favorite meat products sold here.   Also, the chicken fried chicken is really good.  

I would never buy anything from Smithfield or the other various companies under their umbrella.

Trusted Contributor

Too bad for the employees, but their pork products suck!

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz 

I was just thinking the same about stocking up ... Pork is about the only meat available everytime I've been in any store.

Chicken, beef, ground beef and more -- empty!

Honored Contributor

It would be a better world if they went out of business forever. Disgusting place.
Respected Contributor

Isn't Smithfield the brand that QVC sells. ham etc...

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Smithfiled in SD is not the only plant closing. There are also plants in Colorado, Iowa, Nebraska & Pennsylvania closed. These are suppose to be temporary but they could re-open only to have to close again. You never know.

Pork producers are saying this could lead to long term problems.

You better buy what you can to stock your freezer. It will all be gone just like the TP.

We could have beef, pork, poultry, fish shortages.

I already stocked our freezer I could see this coming. 

The other states weren't Smithfield plants. I think Smithfield's statements about nationwide shortages are a bit overblown.  Maybe they're looking for some government funding.

"JBS USA has closed a Souderton, Pa., beef plant until at least Thursday and has reduced production at a second facility in Greeley, Colo., because of high absenteeism among employees.

"Cargill and Tyson Foods have also closed plants in Pennsylvania and Iowa."

from NPR

I love Smithfield ham and bacon. I got toilet paper, facial tissue, a big jug of Dawn, and chuck steak today when I went to pick up an Rx. I'm happy.

Honored Contributor

i cannot believe that people are advocating for business to go under just because they dont like them. do you even realize how many jobs would be lost or towns that would be affected?

i hate mushrooms but i dont want to see mushroom farmers all shut down.......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

SMITHFIELD......information you can find directly on their website.

Proudly Made in the USA

Smithfield Foods is a U.S. company that provides more than 40,000 American jobs and partners with thousands of American farmers. The company was founded in Smithfield, Virginia, in 1936 and was acquired by Hong Kong-based WH Group in 2013.

Where is Smithfield Foods based?

We are still headquartered in Smithfield, Virginia, and run by an American and U.S.-based management team.

Does Smithfield pay U.S. taxes?

Yes. Smithfield continues to pay U.S. local, state, and federal taxes, and heavily reinvests our profits in improvements of our U.S. facilities and employees, as well as construction and acquisitions of new U.S. facilities and capacity.

Is WH Group owned by the Chinese government?

WH Group is a publicly traded company with shareholders around the world. Anyone anywhere can purchase shares of WH Group on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange under the stock code 00288. In fact, WH Group’s shareholders include many large U.S.-based financial institutions. It is not a Chinese state-owned enterprise and does not undertake commercial activities on behalf of the Chinese government.

Does Smithfield now import products from China?

Smithfield has not, does not, and will not import any products from China to the United States. No Smithfield products come from animals raised, processed, or packaged in China. All our U.S. products are made in one of our nearly 50 facilities across America. These products are produced in compliance with the strict standards and regulations of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and other federal and state authorities.

How has the acquisition impacted the U.S. pork industry and the country’s economy?

Smithfield and the U.S. pork industry export products to China, benefitting American pork producers and processors. More exports to China mean more American jobs and more demand for products “Made in the USA,” and reduces the U.S. global trade deficit.

Has Smithfield reduced its workforce as a result of the acquisition?

Not a single job has left the United States since the WH Group acquisition. In fact, we have added thousands of American jobs since the 2013 acquisition.

Has the acquisition hurt the company’s sustainability efforts?

Smithfield continues to maintain an industry-leading sustainability program, including robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental, and food safety and quality programs. Furthermore, we have continued to set more ambitious sustainability goals.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein