Honored Contributor

Re: Smithfield Farms Closing

Well, I hope everyone enjoyed their Easter hams yesterday.

Respected Contributor

I saw an expoe on deplorable conditions at Smithfield Hams about 10 years ago and never bought from them again.  I willl stick to Ratelli who's plant is kept in immaculate condition according to David Venable.

Respected Contributor

Get ready we are seeing more than Smithfield to stop yes stock up. Don't just blame them we will see lack of chicken also. Wish i have extra freezer we are not done. Meat will be scarced. Also canned goods. It's coming. stock up if u can. We will not see hope til sept.if they get a cure for this virus if not we still stay inside. yep it's a long time. 

Honored Contributor

Sooo glad I only buy my meat, veges, etc from my local farmers. Whew! 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

And the SD governor Kristi Noem still refuses to put in a stay at home order - says the state doesn't need it...  Wow, is all I can say...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Free2be wrote:

As if those plant workers could not have been better protected.  Talk about being sent in for slaughter.  Sheer resistance to a known issue.

@Free2be   Are you blaming the plant workers???? 

The governor won't put in a stay at home order - says the state doesn't need one....  No need to have one - no big outbreaks...

Respected Contributor

One problem with this thread is the poorly worded title indicating that an entire huge pork producing firm is "closing." .......or going out of business.......or  whatever anyone can dream up.

This leads to a series of posts from people who would rather jump to conclusions than read the facts.

Interested people can go to at least one source with several stories about the current situation regarding our meat-supplying industries and dangers of a shortage........check out the website of Bloomberg News.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Nightowlz 

I was just thinking the same about stocking up ... Pork is about the only meat available everytime I've been in any store.

Chicken, beef, ground beef and more -- empty!

@homedecor1 

I have not been out in a while so don't know what our grocery stores look like. DH has not had any problems so far getting beef, poultry, chicken at the local meat market. I started stocking the freezer end of Feb after watching the news. I don't want to run out of pork. We love BBQ. LOL!!!  

I hope they get things sorted out quick so they can get our fresh produce to us. Guess they are having issues at ports, air freight etc. I can't imagine no fresh fruit, veggies or bbq this summer. I wait for fresh fruit all winter long.

Respected Contributor

@January121 wrote:

@bushis wrote:

I am pretty sure this company is owned by China now.

@bushis   .... yes, it is owned by China for a few years now....I would never buy anything from Smithfield ....  I hope all companies in China close for good!!!!

What a ridiculous and hateful wish. If all companies in China closed for good, you know whose economy would crash? Ours.

We do not exist in a vacuum and wishing to see one country destroyed harms everyone.

Honored Contributor

I heard it was going to close for 3 days for a complete cleaning.