Super Contributor

Re: Smelly dish sponges - Question

I keep a dish sponge, a separate counter sponge, and a floor sponge for small spills. I don't have a dishwasher. I soap up the counter and floor sponges once a week, washing them in my hands. I don't seem to have any issue with odor.

Trusted Contributor

On 8/2/2014 terrier3 said:
On 8/1/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Dishwasher top rack.

Me 2.

Then throw out after they get too grungy.

Ditto and ditto!

Respected Contributor

Bleach breaks things up,unless it's diluted.

I put mine in the dishwasher. Some people microwave theirs. The bleach solution should be about 3/4 cup to a GALLON of water. You might try it more diluted.

Regular Contributor

Another tip is to pour a little white vinegar over your damp sponges before putting them in the microwave...on high for about 3 minutes....and change them every few weeks....I also use the dishwasher.

Super Contributor

I use Soft Brite sponges, part sponge part non scratch scrubber. I sanitize them by putting them in the top rack of the dishwasher, but the key is running it through a hot drying cycle not the washing part. They are cheap enough that I only keep them for a few washes then throw them out or use them for scrubbing the bathtub.

Honored Contributor

I don't use sponges or dishcloths at all. I use Clorox wipes and non absorbent nylon net scrubbers. Now I've added Scrub Daddy, about the same as the nylon scrubbing pads.

Honored Contributor

After I use my scrubbies, I rinse and squeeze out a total of fifteen times. I always air dry. Sometimes I put water and two TBL of bleach in a bowl and dunk the scrubby a minute and then, rinse, rinse, rinse. Sometimes I wash in the dishwasher. Never store damp sponges in an enclosed cabinet or drawer. That is how you culture microbes.

Respected Contributor

On 8/3/2014 Shogirl said:
On 8/2/2014 terrier3 said:
On 8/1/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Dishwasher top rack.

Me 2.

Then throw out after they get too grungy.

Ditto and ditto!

I noticed a lot of ""top rack"" responses. I used to put mine in the BOTTOM rack.

Does it matter?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Throw them out.