Respected Contributor

I wouldn't be without a Foodsaver.  I made room in a drawer in my kitchen. I didn't want it buried in my basement.  This makes it readily available and regularly used.  
 I will be freezing the chicken and sausage that I bought last night and get it into my freezer downstairs, but I'll put it on the bottom and move what's in there above it.  I don't have an actual divider.  I just do it by placement.  That works well enough.  
If you need to get something in quickly so it doesn't melt, just try to get to it when you have time.  The ice cream goes on the side shelf in our freezer so I get that in fast too.  
I keep all the cooked frozen foods in my upstairs freezer along with anything getting older that I'll be cooking in a week or two, that I've brought up from downstairs.  
I also keep frozen bagels, a few sticks of butter and a few bags of vegetables (our dog gets green beans in her dinner every night!), upstairs.  

Respected Contributor

@nyc1 - you've given me renewed inspiration- I need to be determined to be more organized and stay organized. It's so much easier that way. 
So does your dog know he's getting green beans in his food or haven't you told him yet?!  I think that's too cute!  😁🐶

Valued Contributor

Glad to hear that, Patbz. I've been looking for a 15 cf or so freezer for a year and no one has had them. Where did you purchase yours from?

Esteemed Contributor

@Razzy 7 : Lowes; I happened to walk in the day two of them were delivered.  Pretty much all the other freezers were chest style;  one was easily big enough to hide a large body ( there are many big game hunters in N.E. Arizona).

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse   if you're going to give it a try,  plug it in and put a thermometer in it.  See if it holds a steady temp (around zero degrees) for a couple of days.  If it does,  put a very few inexpensive things in it and check the thermometer, if it hold, add a few more.  I would probably wait to put more in until you've done several small tests by adding inexpensive items.

GOOD LUCK.

Honored Contributor

am thinking about a tiny freezer ----like the one I saw on the Q--moving to an apartment with a top freezer/ refer and man is it teeny tiny----

Honored Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

@nyc1 - do you mind if I ask how you keep your chest freezer organized?  I have a small one and it gets to be a mess fast after I keep trying to get it organized. It's probably just me, but any ideas or hints would be appreciated!

@nyc1 

I have a small 5.1 cu.ft chest freezer. I have an awful lot in there but I purchased some freezer baskets from Amazon that are so helpful in keeping things in order. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

@Texasmouse   if you're going to give it a try,  plug it in and put a thermometer in it.  See if it holds a steady temp (around zero degrees) for a couple of days.  If it does,  put a very few inexpensive things in it and check the thermometer, if it hold, add a few more.  I would probably wait to put more in until you've done several small tests by adding inexpensive items.

GOOD LUCK.

@nyc1 yes, I ordered a fridge/freezer thermometer from. Amazon and I'll check to see if the freezer gets down to the right temperature. Thanks for your help!

Honored Contributor

I have seen they have these, and the price of the tiny one that was on set is ridiculous. 

It was, if I remember correctly, only a 3 cubic foot (that would be a great size for some folks, not at all am I criticizing the small size), and the price I thought I saw was over $300?

We can pick up 5 cubic foot here at Sam's Club for well under $200, like $169 if I remember correctly what we paid this past summer.

Respected Contributor

@ID2  That's the size I have as well.  I have a lot in it too, but not too much so it's still manageable and rotateable!  I didn't put in any inserts because I thought they may take up vauable space.  If you have specific ones to recommend I'm all ears!   THANKS.