Esteemed Contributor

I only cook for me and am home retired.  Insta pot seems the rage, but would a nice slow cooker work better for me?  I don,t need a meal cooked quick or huge portions.  Just once in a while for chicken breast that always seem dry or stew, etc.  I know the insta lot has a slow cooker with it, but it seems like the rest would be a waste for me.  Need thought.  Thank you.

Super Contributor

Re: Slow cooker or insta pot?

Instant Pot is both a pressure cooker and a slow cooker.

Super Contributor

I posted too quickly and forgot to mention that the instant pot has a pretty small foot print and cost wise it probably isn't any more expensive than other slow cookers.  Plus it does saute in case a recipe requires it.  My old slow cooker didn't do that.

Honored Contributor

I have 2 crock pots.  I prefer flavors to have time to develop.  I don't want any more kitchen appliances.

Esteemed Contributor

I thought about an instapot & decided against it. I personally am not a fan of pressure cooking.So in my case I'm sticking with my slow cooker.I love it. I make the best chili, chicken cacciatore & beef stew.

I love throwing the ingredients in in the morning & setting the cooker on low for 8-10 hours. The aromas come together & permeate the house. I think the food tastes better simmering all day.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I only cook for one and I have two (different sizes) crock pots.  Never got interested in InstaPot as I don't need food to cook faster.  Maybe I am missing out on something.

Respected Contributor

An Instant Pot is also great to cook rice and hard boil eggs. 

Honored Contributor

I never use the instapot anymore. Too much hit or miss and food doesn't taste as good. Cleaning is also a lot harder as certain food odors stick around. I use my crockpot a lot though. 

Trusted Contributor

You might get the 3 qt InstantPot - known as "the mini."  A variety of functions (including slow cook) and smaller servings might meet your needs.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank all of you.  I  see you are on the same page that I was thinking.  Keeping it simple.  I had given my old ones away , but saw some on Amazon with a temperature probe for meats.  I think you all really helped me decide.  Thank you.  I love bean dishes, but forgot how to cook in crock pot, so I will invest in a good simple cookbook..