Honored Contributor

Re: Slightly OT: Supermarket shopping

Ever since I was ribbed in a supermarket parking lot at night, I try to avoid shopping after dark.

Obviously they wanted only my money because the police found my bag a few days later where it had been tossed into the woods 5 miles away. Pretty much everything was still there although I'd already had to replace cards and license. Stupid robbery - I'd already shopped and had almost no money left!

I'd like to say that shows how bad everything has gotten, but that was in the early 1970's!

Honored Contributor

Re: Slightly OT: Supermarket shopping

On 11/11/2014 reiki604 said:
On 11/11/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/11/2014 NYC Susan said:
On 11/10/2014 Scooby Doo said:

It could be that those strange looking people roaming the aisles are store security. Recently I was returning an item to Walmart and while standing in line I noticed a strange looking man walking back and forth at the end of the line. He was difficult to miss because he had a long dark braid half way down his back, very casual clothes, unusual eye glasses, but the kicker was his long bright red goatee. I was thinking - who's your stylist, Bozo the clown? So the customer (older man) up front finished his return, and the strange guy arrested him on the spot for shoplifting. He is store security, and probably an undercover cop for his other job.

The "strange-looking" people could also be customers who just didn't happen to need a cart & hadn't picked anything up yet. Or were looking for a friend in the store. Or were there to apply for a job. Or meet with the Deli Manager or whoever.

There are lots of reasons why someone would be walking around a supermarket. The OP called them "unscrupulous people" because they were "wandering" & "roaming". Isn't that what people do in large stores?

"Unscrupulous" is a subjective term, and I have a feeling that most of us wouldn't find these same people unusual or suspicious at all.

Kiss

true - how often does a husband go shopping with his wife and she is shopping with the cart while he is just wandering around looking at everything ?

True, and if he was off wandering around the store without a basket or a cart, wouldn't he be considered one of the unscrupulous men wandering around?

What would make him "unscrupulous" in your opinion? He's just some poor bored guy waiting for his wife.