Contributor

Re: Slightly OT: Supermarket shopping

Walmart delivers for free with on line ordering; so does Amazon; this saves us time, $, gas/travel $- we only buy produce, meat, some dairy at the market. Since we order online our shopping is cut to minutes in the store...it was a blessing!

I would advise though when ordering from online Walmart, think about what you are shipping, loose cans get dented, plastic wrapped secured 6 pack of cans don't. We disperse paper products as padding with can goods, mouth wash, etc. So far with the sales on line the pantry looks great/well stocked, more money to spend, household is running well, we don't pick up many flu bugs, and we have much more sanity left by the end of the week- all which is better for us...research your options online for your area...

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/9/2014 stevieb said:
On 11/9/2014 KYToby said:

I cannot help but wonder how much is perception and how much is reality. The original post almost borders on paranoia. People walking in the aisles :unscrupulous"? Being able to identify an "undercover police officer"? Really?

To address these issues (in reverse order), I do not understand. Quite frankly, undercover police officers are just that, and very few people would b3e able to identify them. It is not easy -- despite what one may see on television. Secondly, when police officers are at stores to deter crime, they tend to be in uniform as the uniform itself is the deterrent.

While I do agree that one should not shop where one feels unsafe, I still go back to perception versus reality. In addition to living in, and shopping in, a downtown area (in the largest city in my state), I routine visit supermarkets when travelling (to see what type sof products are available in an area). I have been in multiple supermarkets in St. Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New York City, Atlanta, and Washington, D.C., quite recently, and I have simply never experienced anything like the OP. I just do not understand.

And as for the ER, the poster needs to remember that ERs are for emegncies. There are many times when people with life-threatening issues arise, and they sometimes take priority over getting a blanket or beverage.

Some of the same thoughts occurred to me... And breaking out in hives...? From a grocery shopping excursion...? Really...?

I had the same thoughts too.

And - to answer the OP's questions - yes, I do feel safe shopping in stores these days. Absolutely. I go out by myself during the day, at night, whenever I need to & whenever I feel like it. I'm more alert & careful after dark, of course, but I can't remember the last time I felt afraid. Some employees in stores are more competent than others and nicer than others, but that's the way it's always been, and in my experience the competent/kind ones are the majority.

I completely don't understand, "by the time it came to checkout, I had enough". Enough of what? Nothing happened. The only transgression came later when there was a coupon issue. And apparently one employee was daydreaming and another was drinking a soda. I don't get how any of that is reason to break out in hives, and I do think a lot of this was perception only, based on pretty much nothing.

Kiss

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/9/2014 lovesrecess said:

The only place I feel uncomfortable is Walmart; I usually park in the garden area but can't check out there because the men who "work" in that area run to the back when they see anyone walking towards the checkout with merchandise. I only go in the mornings if I really need to go....they allow panhandlers to roam the store asking shoppers for money and then follow customers around if they say no. I have complained to the "manager" who looked to be in his early 20's and it clearly doesn't bother him and didn't see it as an issue. He observed this happening and did nothing.

If OP feels threatened or unsafe she should definitely find another store and just avoid shopping at night.

I am not able to drive at night due to my vision but I don't think I would do it much even if able to. I did see a lady in my grocery store recently lock her purse to the handle of her shopping cart; am guessing she has had a bad experience with someone grabbing her bag. I guess many feel more vulnerable as they get older; I wouldn't call it paranoia.

There is not any way that I would shop in a store where this was allowed to happen. I would let CS know, and then I would leave. For good.

Kiss

Respected Contributor

Hello, ANewHue. Smile

Sounds like your shopping experience was a little scary. Hope you find a better place to shop.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

On 11/10/2014 NYC Susan said:

The only place I feel uncomfortable is Walmart; I usually park in the garden area but can't check out there because the men who "work" in that area run to the back when they see anyone walking towards the checkout with merchandise. I only go in the mornings if I really need to go....they allow panhandlers to roam the store asking shoppers for money and then follow customers around if they say no. I have complained to the "manager" who looked to be in his early 20's and it clearly doesn't bother him and didn't see it as an issue. He observed this happening and did nothing.

If OP feels threatened or unsafe she should definitely find another store and just avoid shopping at night.

I am not able to drive at night due to my vision but I don't think I would do it much even if able to. I did see a lady in my grocery store recently lock her purse to the handle of her shopping cart; am guessing she has had a bad experience with someone grabbing her bag. I guess many feel more vulnerable as they get older; I wouldn't call it paranoia.

There is not any way that I would shop in a store where this was allowed to happen. I would let CS know, and then I would leave. For good.

Kiss

My thought when I read that was did the poster happen to observe one person ask a few people for money one time, or did the poster see this multiple times with multiple 'panhandlerS' on different visits? Big difference. If it was a low key one-off occurrence I can understand why the manager might not make a big fuss. If it occurs on half a dozen visits, different entirely - and I'm sure the corporate offices would want to know about it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

It could be that those strange looking people roaming the aisles are store security. Recently I was returning an item to Walmart and while standing in line I noticed a strange looking man walking back and forth at the end of the line. He was difficult to miss because he had a long dark braid half way down his back, very casual clothes, unusual eye glasses, but the kicker was his long bright red goatee. I was thinking - who's your stylist, Bozo the clown? So the customer (older man) up front finished his return, and the strange guy arrested him on the spot for shoplifting. He is store security, and probably an undercover cop for his other job.

I always use the basket straps to secure my purse. It's so easy for someone to grab your purse and run. If it's straped down it's not such a target. The only place I feel unsafe when shopping is in the parking lot. You don't know who's hiding behind a vehicle waiting to snatch your purse. Especially when you are loading your trunk and your back is turned.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/10/2014 moonchilde said:
On 11/10/2014 NYC Susan said:

Kiss

My thought when I read that was did the poster happen to observe one person ask a few people for money one time, or did the poster see this multiple times with multiple 'panhandlerS' on different visits? Big difference. If it was a low key one-off occurrence I can understand why the manager might not make a big fuss. If it occurs on half a dozen visits, different entirely - and I'm sure the corporate offices would want to know about it.

My issue is not with a low-key, one-time occurrence or simply asking for money. And that's not what lovesrecess described. As I bolded above, she said panhandlers follow customers around if they say no. That's very different, and doesn't sound at all low-key to me.

Asking for spare change is one thing - Harassing people is something else entirely.

I agree that something low-key is not a big deal. I live in NYC, and I see low-key requests for money all the time, which is fine. But I would never patronize a store that permitted people to follow others around, bother them, ask for money when they've already been told no, or any other reason.

Kiss

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/10/2014 Scooby Doo said:

It could be that those strange looking people roaming the aisles are store security. Recently I was returning an item to Walmart and while standing in line I noticed a strange looking man walking back and forth at the end of the line. He was difficult to miss because he had a long dark braid half way down his back, very casual clothes, unusual eye glasses, but the kicker was his long bright red goatee. I was thinking - who's your stylist, Bozo the clown? So the customer (older man) up front finished his return, and the strange guy arrested him on the spot for shoplifting. He is store security, and probably an undercover cop for his other job.

The "strange-looking" people could also be customers who just didn't happen to need a cart & hadn't picked anything up yet. Or were looking for a friend in the store. Or were there to apply for a job. Or meet with the Deli Manager or whoever.

There are lots of reasons why someone would be walking around a supermarket. The OP called them "unscrupulous people" because they were "wandering" & "roaming". Isn't that what people do in large stores?

"Unscrupulous" is a subjective term, and I have a feeling that most of us wouldn't find these same people unusual or suspicious at all.

Kiss

Honored Contributor

On 11/11/2014 NYC Susan said:

The "strange-looking" people could also be customers who just didn't happen to need a cart & hadn't picked anything up yet. Or were looking for a friend in the store. Or were there to apply for a job. Or meet with the Deli Manager or whoever.

There are lots of reasons why someone would be walking around a supermarket. The OP called them "unscrupulous people" because they were "wandering" & "roaming". Isn't that what people do in large stores?

"Unscrupulous" is a subjective term, and I have a feeling that most of us wouldn't find these same people unusual or suspicious at all.

Kiss

true - how often does a husband go shopping with his wife and she is shopping with the cart while he is just wandering around looking at everything ?

Respected Contributor

On 11/11/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/11/2014 NYC Susan said:

Kiss

true - how often does a husband go shopping with his wife and she is shopping with the cart while he is just wandering around looking at everything ?

True, and if he was off wandering around the store without a basket or a cart, wouldn't he be considered one of the unscrupulous men wandering around?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown