Esteemed Contributor

Re: Slightly OT: Dinner invitation conundrum

On 3/19/2015 wonderfulworld said:
On 3/18/2015 lucylover64 said:
On 3/17/2015 wonderfulworld said:

If I really wanted to see her I would go. Put a small amount of corned beef on my plate with the other offerings. Cut it in small pieces, push it around and eat the rest, hide the corn beef under a cabbage leaf. When your meal is over jump up to help clear and put it in the sink.

And have a big helping of the desert you brought. I have an aversion to corn and any kinds of beans, spicy foods...you get the idea. I always go. Eat two rolls.

OMG, wonderfulworld--I literally cannot stop laughing!!!! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Me too. Oh, if only all of life's problems were so simple. Still saying I'd go and push my food around. You know where I heard about that...many years ago they said that this is what Princess Diana would do at State dinners to make it look like she ate. I've never forgotten it.

I do that all the time. I often have to go to business dinners and things where meat is served, and in general I don't eat meat. So I eat what I want to, avoid the rest, and push things around on my plate. I've been doing that for as far back as I can remember, even when I was young and didn't like what was being served at a friend or relative's house.

It's been my habit for so long that I barely think about it. Sometimes it's just easier and kinder to the hostess. (Maybe not in this case, but lots of times it works out just fine.)

Honored Contributor

It's Sunday...

Super Contributor

Just saw this and am curious how the weekend went.

I wanted to comment that if I'd just moved and was going to spend hours cooking a specific dinner for me and a dear friend, but that friend just shifted the food around on her plate because she didn't like it, I would be upset. Even if I'd been looking forward to a specific meal or food - in the OP's case, her friend wanted corned beef and cabbage - as a host I'd rather not have it and make something else that both my friend and I would enjoy. And if I really wanted to celebrate St. Pat's, i might get some green food dye or some Irish food - maybe Irish soda bread and Irish cheese - just something to acknowledge the holiday.

I hope the OP told her friend this meal would not work for her and that they both had a great time.

Now if this was a dinner party and I didn't care for the food, I would not have said anything. I would eat a little bit of everything, more of the things I liked, and I would have brought something that I knew I'd be able to eat in addition to the dessert - like an appetizer, or I'd eat a little at home before I went to the dinner.

Honored Contributor

Unless you will DIE if you get near the corned been, have a peanut butter sandwich before you leave the house and go ahead and eat some of it and act happy about it. None of us get to have what we like all the time. Or if we do, we don't have much of a life.

Respected Contributor

On 3/24/2015 mskringle said:

Just saw this and am curious how the weekend went.

I wanted to comment that if I'd just moved and was going to spend hours cooking a specific dinner for me and a dear friend, but that friend just shifted the food around on her plate because she didn't like it, I would be upset. Even if I'd been looking forward to a specific meal or food - in the OP's case, her friend wanted corned beef and cabbage - as a host I'd rather not have it and make something else that both my friend and I would enjoy. And if I really wanted to celebrate St. Pat's, i might get some green food dye or some Irish food - maybe Irish soda bread and Irish cheese - just something to acknowledge the holiday.

I hope the OP told her friend this meal would not work for her and that they both had a great time.

Now if this was a dinner party and I didn't care for the food, I would not have said anything. I would eat a little bit of everything, more of the things I liked, and I would have brought something that I knew I'd be able to eat in addition to the dessert - like an appetizer, or I'd eat a little at home before I went to the dinner.

The trick is in doing it so that she doesn't notice and thinks you love her offerings! It can be done.
Super Contributor

Respected Contributor

OK, she later added that she invited two other women, so I told her that although I'd really enjoy the company, I simply hate, hate, HATE corned beef and can't eat it. I asked if she minded if I brought something that I could eat, since it was really the fellowship I was looking forward to, adding I'd be happy to make dessert. She said that was fine, so I picked up a meatball sub and made some cherry-almond mini Bundts.

She did have cabbage, and some little "boiled" potatoes, but I'm not big on either one, don't want to waste calories on something I don't care for, and also I try to avoid microwaved food. I did have some of her Irish soda bread - I don't remember ever having had it before, as I don't think I'd forget a combination of caraway and raisins. It was...interesting...possibly an acquired taste? Looking at the platter of corned beef I remembered another reason I can's stand it - all that icky fat! Puke Actually, the other two women seemed to have left most of their corned beef on their plates, so I suspect they weren't big fans! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} In fact, my friend mentioned that it wasn't her favorite either, but she felt like she should make it for St. Patrick's Day. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

So, we ended up having a pleasant evening chatting; I think everyone had a nice time...and my friend gave me the leftover corned beef....in case I'd like to feed it to my dogs! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

OK, she later added that she invited two other women, so I told her that although I'd really enjoy the company, I simply hate, hate, HATE corned beef and can't eat it. I asked if she minded if I brought something that I could eat, since it was really the fellowship I was looking forward to, adding I'd be happy to make dessert. She said that was fine, so I picked up a meatball sub and made some cherry-almond mini Bundts.

She did have cabbage, and some little "boiled" potatoes, but I'm not big on either one, don't want to waste calories on something I don't care for, and also I try to avoid microwaved food. I did have some of her Irish soda bread - I don't remember ever having had it before, as I don't think I'd forget a combination of caraway and raisins. It was...interesting...possibly an acquired taste? Looking at the platter of corned beef I remembered another reason I can's stand it - all that icky fat! Puke Actually, the other two women seemed to have left most of their corned beef on their plates, so I suspect they weren't big fans! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} In fact, my friend mentioned that it wasn't her favorite either, but she felt like she should make it for St. Patrick's Day. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

So, we ended up having a pleasant evening chatting; I think everyone had a nice time...and my friend gave me the leftover corned beef....in case I'd like to feed it to my dogs! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

Honesty is the best policy and I'm glad it turned out to be nice and pleasant evening. LOL, about the corn beef going home with you for the dogs!!!

Honored Contributor