Super Contributor

Re: Slightly OT: Dinner invitation conundrum

I am pretty sure the poster was kidding about ""feeding it to the dog."" That is a pretty standard joke about what to do with food one doesn't care to eat.

Esteemed Contributor

Just be honest. It is rude to bring something else to eat as you are the only guest. If you absolutely can not eat corned beef, decline or be honest with your friend. Don't give it to the dog as it may not agree with him/her and that is really insulting if she sees you.
Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2015 Cinder63 said:

I am pretty sure the poster was kidding about ""feeding it to the dog."" That is a pretty standard joke about what to do with food one doesn't care to eat.

I'm pretty sure she was not kidding.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/17/2015 alicedee said:

Instead of saying you "don't like" corned beef, can you say something like "Oh darn, I can't eat corned beef. But I really want to come...would it be ok if I just eat the other dishes, and can I bring something else to contribute?"

If she's a close enough friend, that should be ok to say.

Perfect approach! Just say, "I'd love to join you for dinner, but corned beef just never seems to agree with me." And then volunteer to bring an alternative you can eat along with her cabbage and other dishes. I can't imagine that she would be offended.

Respected Contributor

On 3/18/2015 MJ 12 said:

Hopefully she will come back and tell us that she was kidding. Didn't sound like she was to me. It could mean a vet bill for her.

Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2015 Hoovermom said:
On 3/18/2015 MJ 12 said:

I am pretty sure the poster was kidding about "feeding it to the dog." That is a pretty standard joke about what to do with food one doesn't care to eat.

Hopefully she will come back and tell us that she was kidding. Didn't sound like she was to me. It could mean a vet bill for her.

Not that it matters to the original question, but I think she was kidding as well.

Respected Contributor

Well, I'm going to just tell her that I really dislike corned beef, and as someone pointed out, the stuff cooked with it will have that taste as well. (Frankly, I can't even stand the smell of it.) She's a good friend and we really enjoy getting together, and it's rare for her to have free time because of her job. I won't lie, but I'll give her the option to decide if she wants to order pizza as we originally planned and save the corned beef for another time, have me bring something for myself to eat while she eats the corned beef, or just pass on getting together this weekend and put it off for another time. I'd love to have her over to my place, but...she's allergic to cats. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Honored Contributor

Op please come back, and tell us the outcome.

Super Contributor

On 3/17/2015 wonderfulworld said:

If I really wanted to see her I would go. Put a small amount of corned beef on my plate with the other offerings. Cut it in small pieces, push it around and eat the rest, hide the corn beef under a cabbage leaf. When your meal is over jump up to help clear and put it in the sink.

And have a big helping of the desert you brought. I have an aversion to corn and any kinds of beans, spicy foods...you get the idea. I always go. Eat two rolls.

OMG, wonderfulworld--I literally cannot stop laughing!!!! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Respected Contributor

On 3/18/2015 lucylover64 said:
On 3/17/2015 wonderfulworld said:

If I really wanted to see her I would go. Put a small amount of corned beef on my plate with the other offerings. Cut it in small pieces, push it around and eat the rest, hide the corn beef under a cabbage leaf. When your meal is over jump up to help clear and put it in the sink.

And have a big helping of the desert you brought. I have an aversion to corn and any kinds of beans, spicy foods...you get the idea. I always go. Eat two rolls.

OMG, wonderfulworld--I literally cannot stop laughing!!!! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Me too. Oh, if only all of life's problems were so simple. Still saying I'd go and push my food around. You know where I heard about that...many years ago they said that this is what Princess Diana would do at State dinners to make it look like she ate. I've never forgotten it.