Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

If you haven't checked out this website (skinnytaste.com), it is a wealth of good healthy low-fat foods. All Weight-Watcher compliant. Gina was on last night with both Jill and Dave to sell her cookbook. During that show, she showed a pumpkin scone and mentioned that the recipe would be on the Q site, but I can't find it. Did anyone get it?

Honored Contributor

Gina has been around for a while, she is the Pioneer Woman of the Weight Watchers set. She has lots of devoted fans (as did Dottie of Dottie's Weight Loss Zone did back in the day).

I've made a few of her recipes, her's zucchini lasagna is a favorite.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

It's funny they mentioned the zucchini lasagna because my BFF gave me that suggestion awhile back and I did freeze some from my garden sliced into planks for that purpose. Just haven't made it yet.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

It's posted on David V.'s blog:

Pumpkin-Obsessed Vanilla-Glazed Scones

Makes 12 scones

These light and fluffy buttermilk scones—made with pumpkin puree, fall spices, and a vanilla bean glaze—will warm up your home and fill it with an intoxicating scent that no fancy candle can come close to replicating. I’ve lightened these up substantially by using low-fat buttermilk instead of cream and replacing some butter with pumpkin puree. They taste just as good as any scone you would buy in a fancy coffee shop with half the calories.

Scones

Cooking spray or oil mister

1/2 cup cold lowfat 1% buttermilk

k1 large egg

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

5 tablespoons canned unsweetened pumpkin puree

1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar

1 vanilla bean

1 cup white whole wheat flour (I recommend King Arthur)

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface

1 tablespoon baking powder

2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

3 tablespoons very cold butter, cut into small pieces

Glaze

2 tablespoons cold fat-free milk

1 cup powdered sugar, sifted

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a baking sheet with oil.

For the scones: In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, vanilla, pumpkin puree, and brown sugar. Using the tip of a sharp knife, cut along the length of the vanilla bean to split it open. Scrape half of the seeds into the bowl and whisk well; reserve the remaining seeds for the glaze.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the chilled butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the buttermilk mixture and stir until just moist.

Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead lightly four times with floured hands. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet and shape in into a 9-inch round about ¾ inch thick. Using a knife, cut the dough all the way through into 12 wedges.

Bake until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 10 minutes before glazing.

For the glaze: Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining seeds from the vanilla bean and the milk. In another medium bowl, add the powdered sugar. Using a spatula mix in the milk and combine well until it is mixed through and forms a thick glaze.

Put the scones on parchment or wax paper and drizzle the vanilla glaze over the scones using a spoon. Alternatively you can dip the tops of the scones into the glaze, and then let them sit on the paper to harden

Serve warm. Leftovers can be stored in airtight containers for up to 2 days.

Per serving (1 scone)

Calories: 172

Fat: 4g

Saturated fat: 2g

Cholesterol: 24mg

Carbohydrate: 32g

Fiber: 2g

Protein: 4g

Sugars: 15g

Sodium: 214mg

I'll see you on Wednesday at 8pm ET, foodies.

Keep it flavorful!

--David

Super Contributor

BTW, the book is cheaper and shipping lower on Amazon.Wink

Honored Contributor

I'm always looking for healthy recipes, my husband is diabetic.

I came across Gina's blog about a year ago and I'm a real fan! She comes up with great recipes, we've tried many. I've ordered her book, which will be out soon.

I encourage everyone to watch the video she did with Jill. It will give you an idea of the kind of food she has to offer as recipes.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Contributor
I ordered mine from Amazon last night. More than a dollar less and the S & H is only $3.99.
Honored Contributor

She's very different from Hungry Girl (the Patron Saint of WW). HG focuses on frankenfoods to create low calories versions of things. I'm not a fan as I follow the Eat Clean Diet.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Those scones looked so good but I know I'd never be able to pull of making them.

Respected Contributor

I ordered it from QVC. I didn't mind paying a bit more, as I'm a member of Mr. Rebates and I'll get some money back via rebate.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James