Honored Contributor

Re: Shrimp processed with SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE.

[ Edited ]

The additive sounds perfectly safe. Chemicals do not automatically equal toxic or unsafe.

I'm now buying good-sized raw peeled frozen shrimp from Argentina that is sold at Trader Joe's. We've been very pleased with them.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Occasional Contributor

Also, it is a complete rip off for the price.  ANYONE who buys this is being fooled.  Look up shrimp at your local grocer.  QVC is charging 2-3x more!!!  RIP OFF!!!

Honored Contributor

As to the origin:   I learned a number of years ago that shrimp from SE Asia was just not a good choice for me.

One time I had purchased a bag of frozen shrimp at the grocery store.   The first time I went to eat some of it, my throat was closing up and it had this weird itchy feeling.  Maybe some sort of allergy?  However, I am NOT allergic to shrimp (or any other seafood).

I had not noticed, or even given it a thought TBH, from where the shrimp came.  I could only deduce that it was something relative to it coming from SE Asia, as nothing else was different about it, so I never did that again.

I buy some food products here, as there are quite a few that really are good products, but I stay away from seafood from tv shopping.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy frozen shrimp from Costco.  I just looked at bag and it said contains "shrimp, salt and water".  They are size 21-25 and they are a product of Thailand and being sold under their Kirkland brand.  I have great confidence in Costco.  I am sure they are fine.  

PS:  It says right on the bag 'No Preservatives', 'No Chemicals Added'

Respected Contributor

I have some dietary restrictions that mean it is a no for  me. I am lucky in that I can gert fresh seafood without additives to take care of my seafood fix. There is nothing like fresh seafood.

doxie

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I checked it out on the internet.  It's a phosphate additive and a chemical. Some of the more commonly “soaked” seafood items include scallops, shrimp and anything filleted that’s very flaky—like hake, sole or imitation crab meat.  We are paying more for seafood that contains this chemical, because it can increase the weight of the products to which it’s applied.  It is banned in California.