Honored Contributor

Shrimp Bisque: Is there a substitute for cognac or a recipe that doesn't call for it?

I'd like to make a shrimp bisque tomorrow, but the recipe calls for cognac. DH and I don't drink, so I don't want to invest in this. Is there something I can substitute for the cognac? If not, does anyone have a bisque recipe that doesn't call for it?

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Shrimp Bisque: Is there a substitute for cognac or a recipe that doesn't call for it?

The cognac or sherry gives the soup a little extra ""oomph"" in flavor but just omit it from the recipe and it will be fine. You don't need a special recipe.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shrimp Bisque: Is there a substitute for cognac or a recipe that doesn't call for it?

I know you can substitute chicken stock or vegetable stock in place of wines in cooking so this might be the same.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, so much, ladies! I didn't want this to turn out to be one of my sneakily expensive recipes. I once made a soup, and when I tallied it up, it was more than $30 for four people. I don't have that kind of budget these days.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I'd like the recipe if you are willing to share.

Super Contributor

I agree with PinkyPetunia, the cognac or sherry does give it some flavor, and depending on your recipe you could probably saute the shrimp or leek/onion in the cognac and it would burn off the alcohol content while leaving the flavor. However, since cognac is not inexpensive there are certainly alternatives.

I found this link helpful, it provides non-alcoholic cooking alternatives when wine or spirits are called for in recipes.

homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blalcohol6.htm

P.S. I would also love to have your recipe, shrimp or lobster bisque is one of my favorites. Smile

ETA: For cognac, they say to use peach, apricot or pear juice.

Super Contributor

On 5/31/2014 house_cat said:

Thanks, so much, ladies! I didn't want this to turn out to be one of my sneakily expensive recipes. I once made a soup, and when I tallied it up, it was more than $30 for four people. I don't have that kind of budget these days.

But if it turns out really good and you make it several times, the cognac won't be a waste. You'll already have it for next time.

Honored Contributor

just leave the liquor out

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

The sherry and/or cognac are really key.

You can go to a liquor store and buy a little bottle of it (like they sell on airplanes). That's what I do.

I have a ton of little bottles for just these types of recipes. A lot of baking call for things like Kahlua and rum and brandy. I just buy the little bottle for a couple of dollars.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

We don't drink either. You might check with gourmet stores in your area to see if they have sherry flavoring. I have used that in the past and it works wonderfully.

To save on the cost of this dish, you can mix more expensive seafood (like shrimp, scallops, crab, and lobster) in smaller amounts with a more reasonably priced mild-flavored white fish. I have done that in the past with great success.

All the best,

Writer with Flair