Trusted Contributor

Re: Should I buy a new oven?

@chihuahuamom - Do you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore near you?

I do and they get in all sorts of used appliances (and other household necessities). Many are near new (items not needed by a builder or ripped out from a remodeling job) and all are tested out before being put up for sale.

The prices are really good. Of course their stock is going to vary - you may find something in your price range or you may have to come back again a few times. Don't know how old you are but at our store people over 55 get a 20% discount on Thursdays.

I also agree with the suggestions to get a small oven or toaster oven. We use our toaster oven more than our big oven and you can one pretty cheap at one of the "marts."

Trusted Contributor

Re: Should I buy a new oven?

My oven went out one year on Thanksgiving day. I quickly put the turkey on the grill. After that, I did not replace the oven for 2 years. I have a very nice, large toaster oven, a microwave, Nesco, and several slow cookers. I did quite well without it. 

I did puchase a new one about 5 years ago and if the oven goes out, I doubt that I would even get a new one.